So, like I've said a million times over, I really like my job. Like, really like it, and I liked it even more on the Friday afternoon in June that I got to leave at 11:30am and go play kickball for charity. You read that right, K-I-C-K-B-A-L-L. I love kickball. LOVE. Ever since I won MVP in my grammar school's 5th grade & 6th grade kickball tournament, I've loved it. Don't shun my elementary school tourney, it was a big deal back then. For the last week of school we got to stay outside for the entire afternoon, playing the most epic game of kickball ever. One of the 5th grade teachers was the ref and a 6th was the pitcher. All the other grades would sit on jungle gyms, bleachers or on the ground watching us for hours. It was a BIG DEAL and apparently has had a profound impact on my life - 16 years later I'm still talking about it. Anywho, I still have my medal, it was a soccer medal, but in 1995 I'm sure it was the best they could do.
So yes, kickball. I got to spend another summer afternoon playing instead of sitting at my desk. Except this time we got Panera for lunch and they had beers at home plate at every one of the 8 fields. Um hi, this is adult kickball, I should have clarified.
The kickball tourney was for Playworks, a non-profit organization that encourages physical activity and playing sports in schools. Since my company has been a donor and supporter of Playworks, we got to have a team in the tournament. I was asked my my friends over in Community Relations if I wanted to play, to which I said OF COURSE! Like, no duh! And I began to recruit other players from my department. I was told after I agreed to it that the event was being sponsored by Sam Adams. BEST DECISION EVER.
My team! Don't we look so threatening? So cohesive? Like, so amazing and the best kickball team ever? Yea, I thought so too.
Unfortunately, even though we LOOK super awesome in our matching shirts, we just weren't that good at kickball, sighhhh. I'm apparently a little rusty. And maybe out of shape. And maybe a little tipsy. There is nothing worse than chugging a Sam Summer in the June heat and then having to sprint for any reason whatsoever. By the time I got to second base I had to sit down. And ask for Tums.
There were 20+ teams on 8 fields and we all played super fast 20 minute games, meaning that by the time we actually caught our stride, the game was over. We went 1-3 for our games and didn't make it to the finals. BUT! We had a great time cheering on Children's Hospital who won the entire tournament. They were pretty awesome.
It was a pretty awesome day and we had a great time hanging out with each other, playing kickball and participating in this awesome event for a really great and deserving charity. I was told that this is an annual thing, so I am already excited for next year! I better start working on my wind sprints...








That sounds amazing! Kickball, beer, no work...jealous!
ReplyDeleteIf you really love Kickball, my friends are in a league :) It's a nationally recognized one...they go to Vegas every year for the championships. It's called WAKA and they play in Cambridge every Sunday (I think). I can give you their info if you wanted to play more than once a year :)
ReplyDelete