The idea of moving is absolutely overwhelming, probably to everyone, so in order to avoid a massive hysterical breakdown, which is what happens to me when I get overwhelmed, I decided to tackle and pack up a small section of my room. My mentality is that if I can target a little bit here and there, then the entire moving process won't make me want to collapse into a puddle, sobbing, while asking my mom to help me. That's the WORST. Having moved to 5 apartments in 5 years, it's happened. More than I'd like. More than anyone around me would like.
I started with the small alcove behind my bathroom door, a place where I would stack things in a bookshelf, then conveniently leave the door open ALL THE TIME, so I'd never have to look at the mass of stuff I had. This area gave me anxiety. Since I'd already cleaned out my closets on that fateful night my shelving decided to stop working, I knew that the rest of my bedroom was somewhat under control, I just needed to wrangle this teensy little corner.
I started packing up a few things and throwing away a few things, moving at a slow but steady pace. I am a serial keeper, which is VERY different from hoarding, I just want to clarify. I am not a hoarder. I tend to keep things just in case I might need them, tucking them away in a really great place, a great place that I will never go to ever, ever again. So, yea, I keep stuff. Thankfully, once I've held onto things long enough, it's pretty easy for me to just chuck it all. Since most of that stuff hadn't been touched since I moved in, I was perfectly fine throwing it away, because I'll obviously never need it again - right?!
Yes! One stress inducing section is done! Hopefully this move won't kill me. Next time I am definitely hiring professionals.









Moving is the worst....I don't know how you did it so often! Thankfully I know you survived this move and its looks fabulous!!
ReplyDelete