101 in 1001 Challenge

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

62. June 14th, 2011 Picture & 38. Start Grad School.


So, every few months or so I start thinking about potentially, maybe getting my Masters.  I joke that I have 3 stages to drinking white wine [I promise this is related].  Step 1. I get super chatty.  Like, pause a movie Ratty and I are watching to discuss the pros and cons of me going back to school type chatty.  Then I get weepy, like sobbing about a pair of gloves I lost when I was in high school - they had leopard print cuffs!  Or when my mother is going to live when she decides to stop working.  I'd like to note that I am the ONLY one who worries about these things, it's potentially and probably irrational.  The third phase to drinking too much white wine is falling asleep between hiccuping sobs, much to the relief of Ratty.  I don't like drinking white wine, if you all couldn't have guessed.  And no, champagne is not white wine.

  So anyway, I go through phases where I think going back to school might be a really good idea, looking into different programs, going to open houses and even going as far as organizing my hypothetical schedule before losing steam and pushing the idea of grad school out of my mind.  It's a ton of money, like A TON, and considering that I have no real idea of what I want to be when I grow up, or how that unknown profession would fit in with my masters degree, it doesn't seem to make a whole lotta sense.  I mean, am I right?

When I found out my company would pay a portion of my tuition, I started to look into communication programs again, and attended an information session for Suffolk, re: goal number 38 on my list.  The session was at the Omni Parker House downtown and I basically sat a table with other potential graduate students and asked the Dean questions.  I've attended this session 3 times, so I already knew the answers, but it was a nice refresher.

I left the session still not absolutely convinced I wanted to go back to school.  I love learning new things, but feel as if I do a lot of that by taking classes at the BCAE and sitting in on various meetings and seminars around Boston.  I don't ever want to write a 30 page paper ever again, and unless I have a definitive career path which requires additional education, I just can't rationalize paying all that money.  My job does cover a portion of tuition, but once I did the math I'd be able to take 1 class a semester and have it covered.  That means I'd be going to school for 10 more years.  Pass.

1 comment:

  1. Ick to school! You have an awesome job, so unless they require it I would pass as well!

    ReplyDelete