101 in 1001 Challenge

Monday, November 14, 2011

102. GET ENGAGED!

I am VERY excited to announce that while on Nantucket two weekends ago, Ratty proposed!  



As you can imagine, we have been VERY busy celebrating for the past...oh, two plus weeks, so I haven't had any real time to get any quality writing done.  I wanted to share our engagement on the blog since it is SO BRAND NEW AND SO EXCITING!  Plus, this 6 month lag time is really crimping my style lately.

So who wants to hear the story of how Ratty proposed?  Oh, I do I do!  Alright, so as you can remember from last year, we bought an uber discounted weekend on Nantucket from Rue La La, so this year we did it again - except buying TWO weekends!  I know, high rollers!  We left Friday morning, October 28th, shooting down to the Cape to catch the 9:15am ferry.  I guess Ratty's plan was to do it on the boat so we'd be able to arrive in Nantucket and celebrate, but plans somewhat became unraveled.  And by somewhat I mean completely.  My cousin Rich called about 10 minutes into the trip, telling me that our Uncle Phil was taken to the hospital [don't worry, he is totally fine, though we didn't know it at the time!]  I hadn't heard anything about Uncle Phil, so I immediately called my mom to see if she had any updates.  When she didn't answer, I called my brother Eddie, asking if he'd talked to mom.  This whole game of phone tag had gone on for almost a half hour, and unbeknownst to me, Ratty was absolutely panic stricken.  He'd asked my mom for her permission and had also called my siblings to ask for their blessing, so Ratty was petrified that Eddie would answer the phone screaming 'CONGRATULATIONS!' since he knew the proposal was happening that morning.  Not to mention that Ratty thought Rich was calling to congratulate us, so needless to say tensions were high.  I repeat high.

Again, I had no idea.

We docked into Nantucket around 11:30am, dropping our things off at our B&B and walking around town, soaking up our favorite streets and shops.  I finally heard from my mom around 12:15 and she told me that Uncle Phil was fine and was discharged.  I thought Ratty was just being really concerned, asking how he was doing, but little did I know Ratty just wanted the high sign to go ahead with proposing!  Poor kid must have been dying.

We grabbed lunch at the Rose and Crown, absolutely stuffing ourselves into a coma, well I did at least.  I opted to only have water with lunch, trying to hydrate myself and ward off any unfortunate migraines while on vacation.  Ratty chose the opposite route, downing a pint glass sized vodka soda before ordering lunch and subsequently ordering Guinness after Guinness.  Now here I thought he was just uber excited to be on vacation, but turns out he was downing drinks trying to calm his nerves!  In hindsight, I seriously don't understand how I was so clueless.  I should have obviously been suspicious.  Heck, I was suspicious any time Ratty ask me to leave the apartment.  

We went back to our B&B to check in and ended up falling asleep for a good chunk of the afternoon.  Well, again, I fell alseep, I am pretty sure that Ratty spent the 3 hours pacing the floor willing me to wake up.  As soon as my eyes popped open, I could tell something was up.  Ratty's eyes were all darty, and he was fidgeting an awful lot.  I brushed my teeth and started to freshen up when Ratty reminded me that it was GLOBAL Champagne day.  Um hi, best day ever!  He said there was something that I would probably like in the fridge, and with Ratty's long track record of secretly packing Champagne, I figured thats what he was hiding.  I opened up the fridge and next to the bottle of Champagne was a blue box from E.B. Horn.  I started crying immediately, repeatedly asking Ratty 'What is this?!' I mean, hi Amy, obviously it's a ring!  He gave me a faux newspaper article, announcing our engagement.  He had my mom write up my portion, which obviously made me start crying even harder.  He got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.  I immediately said YES and then started GUSHING about the ring, it is absolutely stunning!  Apparently he didn't hear me say yes, so he just kept looking at me, waiting.  Eventually I said yes again, popped the Champagne and called our families to tell them the exciting news!  


Ch-ch-check it out!  Isn't it so perfect?  I love it!  I love vintage settings and this one is absolutely amazing.  Ratty did good!

4 comments:

  1. Once again CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Love hearing the engagement story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you! And thank you for sharing the story so soon! I was going to have a hard time waiting for 6 months! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just LOVE proprosal stories and this one is EXTRA special, as my very own son,"Ratty", better known to me as "Michael", has asked a most beautiful and special young lady, named Amy Deveau, to be his wife!!We are all delighted and love them both very much. LIFE IS GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Congrats! Sorry I'm so far behind and just now reading it. Best wishes to you both!!

    ReplyDelete