101 in 1001 Challenge

Monday, November 21, 2011

62. May 29th, 2011 Picture.

Sunday was the nicest day of the entire weekend and I was determined to get lots of face time with the beach.  Ratty and I woke up and headed to Golden Rod for breakfast, where I had the BEST iced coffee, I mean, look how awesome the old fashion glasses are!  I think almost anything would taste better in these glasses, so much so I asked Ratty if he thought if I could sneak one in my purse.  He said no.


As soon as we were done with breakfast we headed off to the beach, which was all of 3 steps away, to soak up some sun.  

Look at Ratty's little set up, a new beach chair AND umbrella!  He bought these items at the surf shop next to the beach, saying that since I drag him to the beach so often, he might as well have some decent accessories, dude is totally right.


The beach was absolutely packed, mainly because it was a holiday weekend, but also because it was one of the first nice days of the summer.  We were all desperate to get some sun and enjoy the warm weather!


We lasted only an hour and a half at the beach.  Even though we were nice and shaded under the umbrella, we were getting hot and decided to head back to our hotel to cool down.  Like I mentioned before, my Auntie Estelle lives in Wells, which is about 15 minutes away from York, and she was having a small get together at her house for my cousin Kim and her husband Ben's birthdays.  She had invited me and Ratty over for dinner, so we got ready and headed over to her house.

I just need to share how sunburnt Ratty and I were at this point.  We'd put on sunblock and stayed under the umbrella for the most part, but it wasn't until long after that we realized the umbrella didn't block the sun.  Even though we were shaded and keeping cool, the sun was still frying us, and we had no clue.  Progressively throughout the night, we got more red and more red, even breaking out in a cold sweat.  The first sunburn of the summer is always brutal, but this one was worse because it was a SNEAKY sunburn.  We thought we were being safe!  Ugh, just thinking about it makes my skin hurt.

Back to York.  We headed to my Auntie Estelle's and Uncle Teddy's for dinner, and we were so excited to see my cousins Steve, Diane, Laureen, Keri, her husband Fernando, Kim and her husband Ben and their daughter Olivia.  Phew, there were lots of people going to dinner and I was super excited to see them all!  You might remember the blog about Keri's wedding last summer, it was so great to see everyone, but that was the last time we'd all be together!  We were long overdue for a visit, so I was thrilled we could make it to Kim and Ben's birthday party.




Estelle is my dad's only sister, so I love getting to talk to her, asking her questions and finding more about my dad's childhood and family history.  This is exactly what I meant with Goal #7: Sit down with my Aunt and learn about my dad's childhood.  I'm slowly chipping away!

Here are some pictures that Kim posted on facebook, you might be able to tell just how red Ratty and I are.  This was a progressive thing, we started pink, but by Sunday morning we were on fire.  Seriously, I never learn.  Stupid umbrella!


I mean, what a party be without birthday hats?!


I got to spend some quality time with Kim's daughter Olivia - she is so adorable!  She is so smart and polite, we played together all night, it was so much fun!  I was so happy that we got to spend the day with my family.  Since they all live in Maine, I don't get to see them nearly as much as I would like, but I guess it just means that when we DO get to see each other it's that much better!

After the party started to wind down, Ratty and I headed back to the motel to relax.  We were so burnt and tired, we just hung around in our room watching House Hunters before calling it a night.  What a crazy vacation!

2 comments:

  1. You have a crazy amount of family located all over the place...Sounds like fun to me though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate sunburns and I especially hate sunburns when you think you've done everything to prevent it!

    ReplyDelete