So, as some people can understand, the idea of writing 4 uber long posts about our Maine trip have overwhelmed me enough to shun my blog for the past week. Subsequently making me fall farther behind in posting, therefore perpetuating my overwhelmedness. Ah, such is life.
But here I am - putting my nose to the grindstone, or fingers to keys, to write about our awesome Memorial Day weekend trip. Let's start with the view from the balcony outside our room.
Try to look past the parking lot and admire the OCEAN. We were right across the street from Short Sands, smack in the middle of 'downtown York'. Let's be real, there is no downtown, but our room was above a restaurant and a liquor store, so it worked for us.
It was a gorgeous day when we arrived, though it was a touch too cold for me to head to the beach - le sigh. At the beginning of the summer is get absolutely crazy, wanting to spend every waking minute on the beach soaking up sun and warmth and awesomeness. Oh who am I kidding, I spend all summer hogging the sun, and I was a touch disappointed that the holiday weekend weather called more for clouds and drizzle than golden rays. I was uber excited however to spend the weekend relaxing, completely unplugged from the world. Ratty and I made a pact on Friday, saying we wouldn't really use our cell phones, no Facebook, Twitter, texting, etc. We were just going to relax and have fun. If you can do that without checking your phone every 3 minutes. We survived so I'm sure it's possible.
So obviously once we arrived, checked in and got settled in our room, we cracked open a few Coronas and sat on our deck people watching and listening to the ocean.
We spent the remainder of the day poking around the town, checking out a few stores and scoping out the best location to watch the Bruins game that night. Remember when they were in the race for the Stanley Cup last year? Well, we all know how awesome that turned out for us, but for the next few weeks we're going to have to suspend reality for a bit and just roll with it, there is a lot of hockey coming up on the blog!
Ratty googled a few places nearby and we discovered that Buffs Pub at the Union Bluffs Hotel was the best place to watch the Bruins that night. We headed up there a little before the game started, hoping to snag a seat at the bar. Apparently everyone in town had the same idea, so we just ordered a few beers and waited the crowd out, hoping that a few might leave once they finished dinner. We were able to nab 2 seats at the bar once a large group left, and we settled in for the rest of the night. Of course, we can't go anyplace without seeing people we know, and being in York was no exception. Ratty ran into a friend from college, you know, from Ithaca, in upstate New York, and it just so happened that this friend always spent Memorial Day weekend in York - what a small world! They were just picking up food and were heading back to their rental, so we said our goodbyes and turned our attention to the game.
The Bruins really made us sweat through this entire series. Being a Boston sports fan is naht easy.
Not the greatest shot, but we were obviously not the only ones on pins and needles.
The game was really intense, and the fact that it was dragging on and on was not helping matters. York is a pretty quiet town, and since Buff's was the only place showing the game the place was packed. The time inched closer to 11pm, and Ratty and I started to panic that the pub might close, leaving us with no place to watch the game. Wouldn't that have been horrible?! Why do we do that to ourselves?! Thankfully there was no reason to panic, they stayed open and we got to watch the Bruins win. Thank Goodness, it would have been a really sour note to start our vacation on!
This photo is not the best, but I promised I'd try to take more pictures of real people, so, here you go.
Day One down. So much more awesome VacationLand recaps to come!








I love the vacations you two go on! And even though you are very behind on these postings I love reading them still :)
ReplyDelete