101 in 1001 Challenge

Saturday, December 18, 2010

87. Visit 3 Farmers Markets.

While on Nantucket in July, Ratty and I were strolling down Easy Street, no for real it's called Easy Street, when we stumbled upon the Nantucket Farmers Market.  I was pretty excited to meander through the stands and carts and hopefully support some local businesses.


{As you can see, this is one of the photos that was recovered from the erased memory card.  It is slightly funky, with that grey strip on the right, but the rest of the picture is perfectly intact.}

Ratty and I walked through the Market, stopping to look at homemade jewelry, produce stands and other Nantucket wares, but couldn't really buy anything.  I wanted to buy some amazing potted plants from a local farm, but it wasn't completely rational since I was on Nantucket for 3 more days and I had lots of traveling to get home.  Carrying a plant on the ferry didn't seem like the greatest idea, since I'd also be lugging my bags with me.  When we stopped at the Sustainable Nantucket stand and chatted with one of the girls standing at the table, Ratty decided to buy one of their reuseable totes for his mom.  Supporting Nantucket AND buying a gift, totally perfect!


Next time we go to Nantucket, Ratty and I are thinking of renting a little studio apartment, so that we would have some amenities that are lacking at typical B&B's.  Things can get pretty expensive when you're buying every single meal out, it can really add up.  Every time we go to Nantucket, we end up wishing we had more time there, ideally a week or forever, but what is more realistic?  I'd love to rent a place with a little kitchenette so we could eat breakfast or make a sandwich, saving ourselves a few bucks that we could put towards another night on the island or a nice dinner out - as if we don't do enough of that already.  If we do end up doing that, I will definitely go to this farmers market again, and actually buy some things to make dinner.  Hm, I don't know if I can wait until next summer, I'd like to leave tomorrow, please!

3 comments:

  1. You are reeeeally selling me on Nantucket! I think I need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely need to go! Ratty and I just went over Thanksgiving too, so expect ANOTHER post soon (hopefully!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love famers markets. I just can't wait for all the fruit to be in season again so I can gorge myself on the freshest stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete