101 in 1001 Challenge

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

62. September 27th, 2010 Picture.

Since moving to Boston proper a few years ago, I have been involved in a city initiative called ONEin3.  It was created by the Mayor to serve the one-third of Boston’s population that is between the ages of 20 and 34. The program connects Boston’s young adults with resources related to home buying, business development, professional networking, and civic engagement.  At first I was involved on a neighborhood level, planning events and getting involved with South Boston, and then I was selected to serve a 2 year term on the advisory council.  Since my time has since run out on the council, I’ve gotten back involved with the neighborhood sector of it, plus joining a brand new Alumni group of others who have since ‘graduated’ from ONEin3. 

The first Alumni event was at bar downtown called McGreevy’s, which ‘claims’ to be the oldest sports bar in America.  I mean, it’s not.  It openned originally in 1894, but then closed during Prohibition.  It was closed for 88 years before it was reestablished.  I don’t think that counts.  Anywho, the whole reason I am talking about this place, is not because of the loose definition of ‘oldest’ or its general fabrication of history, but because it is owned by the Dropkick Murphys.  Anyone who knows/appreciates Irish music probably knows, should know, about the Dropkicks.  They are a Boston institution, and their song ‘Tessie’ is played after ‘Dirty Water’ when the Red Sox win games at home, and ‘Shipping up to Boston’ will always conjure up images of ‘The Departed’ and Papelbon dancing in a kilt.  Sometimes the bar will do events where the Dropkicks will be the bartenders for the night - it's a pretty cool concept when you think about it.  


I snapped this picture of my receipt, thinking it would be a nice way to mention ONEin3, plus offer a little Boston trivia.



2 comments: