101 in 1001 Challenge

Monday, July 19, 2010

62. July 2nd, 2010 Picture.

On Friday after work, I drove into Cambridge to hang out in Harvard Square with Ratty.  It was the Friday before the 4th, so work let us out at 3pm,  so rough.  Ratty had to take care of some work at Mount Auburn Hospital, so the plan was to meet up after we were both free from the awful, miserable chains they call employment.  I stopped off at my mom's house to grab the parking permit so I could park easily in the Square and not worry about meters or tickets.  I feel as though the parking karma fairy may be coming back to bite me after I fought and won so many other tickets.  I had a good run.  While I was at my mom's I got a migraine.  I suffer from insufferable migraines, so I ended up needing to lay down for a bit to recoup.


Once I finally made my way into the Square, I was greeted to cheers and yells from this mass of soccer fans standing outside Cardullo's.  They are famous for having a big screen TV in their window, and people literally bring folding chairs nightly to sit on the side walk and watch Red Sox games.  It was no surprise that a crowd had amassed outside to watch one of the semi-final games of the World Cup.  It was the game when Ghana was upset by Uruguay during a shoot out, so I was rounding the corner and hearing the screams just as overtime was ending.  I quickly snapped the picture and made it to the new Tory Row which is right next door, where Ratty was waiting for me.  I made it inside just in time to see Ghana lose, see the players cry and have Ratty broken up about the loss.  My head was pounding and I felt really bad for a team whose game I did not watch, nor did I actually know anything about them.  Such a great start to the night.






We walked over to Legal Sea Foods at the Charles Hotel and sat outside on their summer patio and had a few cocktails.  I finally started to feel better after some water, fresh air, Excedrin migraine and some cherry bourbon with lemonade.  What  is this new bourbon fascination all about?  After a few drinks in the nice warm sunshine, and watching the cutest little red headed twins run around the patio playing with a dog, Ratty and I made our way to Grafton Street for some dinner.  We sat at the bar while waiting for a table, but then made our way to the front patio for dinner and drinks.  I love Harvard Square and I love people watching.  There are a ton of crazy characters that exist in this world and sometimes I feel like every single one is in Cambridge.  There was no one in particular that stood out, besides the woman dressed up like a marionette that stood on a box for about 5 hours, not moving the entire time.  She was freaky.  


After dinner we went to the Russell House Tavern, which is a pretty new restaurant/bar that opened in the old Z Square space, which use to the the Wursthaus many many moons ago before Harvard Sqaure decided to force everyone out and turn all the store fronts into banks. Honestly, there are not less than one million banks in the Square, even ones I've never heard of before.  Trust me, Citizens does not need 2,500 square feet for 4 ATMs. Unnecessary.  Anyway, RHT is actually pretty swanky and gives off a french restaurant vibe, red leather studded booths and subway tiled walls.  I sat down and quickly ordered a 22 oz Grey Lady from the Cisco Brewery on Nantucket.  Ratty got one too and unbeknownst me, ordered shots.  What is it with him and shots recently?  It was his thing of choice on Nantucket (which will be written about shortly, hopefully) and my liver is not really loving this trend.  He wanted something made with Jagaer but the bar didn't stock it, so they made the shot taste like it using various different alcohols and syrups.  It was actually pretty cool.  Our 22 oz beers lasted us a bit, and by the time they were done I was beat.  Ratty went to pay the bill and we realized the beers we ordered were $18 each.  EIGHTEEN BUCKS EACH!  That is like, highway robbery.  Fast forward to the next day and I see the exact same bottle of beer on sale in a liquor store for $7.49, and on sale in Nantucket for $7!  Nutso.  Guess I need to look at the price before I order another drink there.   


{Such a great beer.  They also make Lady of the Woods which is Grey Lady soaked in a Chardonnay cask for 10 months.  So good.}



{Shots.  Yum?}



{I love Nantucket!  They can do no wrong in my eyes!}


Sidebar: July 2nd is my dad's birthday.  He would have been 82.  Happy Birthday Dad!  Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment