101 in 1001 Challenge

Monday, July 26, 2010

62. July 5th, 2010 Picture.

The day after the 4th I was pretty beat, for good reason.  I had spent the day before having so much fun that I needed a day to recover.  I dragged Ratty to the beach with me, where we sipped iced coffee, listened to music and thumbed through magazines.  We made it about an hour or so before the oppressive heat took over and we retreated my air conditioned apartment.  


Once we had brought our core temperatures back down to normal, I was hungry.  Such a shock, I am ALWAYS hungry.  We decided that we needed to go someplace down near the water and sit outside; Extend our long weekend and enjoy the nice weather.  We opted for Legal Seafoods right down by the aquarium and sat at the bar while waiting for a patio table.  I literally drank 4 glasses of water in 30 seconds, to the point where the bartender asked if I had just come in from a run.  It was the first water I'd drank in 2 days and I was beyond dehydrated.  We only had to wait about 15 minutes for a table, and before we knew it we had a harborside seat PERFECT for people watching.  I ordered shrimp skewers and rice, while Ratty got a lobster roll.  It was a pretty nice night, and we decided to walk around the harbor before grabbing gelato in the North End.  


I like to walk around, looking at the crazy boats and yachts docked in the harbor and play a little game I like to call 'How Much Do You Think It Cost?'  I play it with boats, real estate, jewelry, you name it, I want to know how expensive it is.  There are lots of boats in the harbor, mostly docked for vacations, and I want to know how people afford them.  Like, the boat slip and gas bill alone must be SO expensive.  Most of the boats I saw must cost well over $100,000 and at what point do you have enough disposable income that you think to yourself, let's get a boat!  Hmm?  I struggle with money.  Trying to understand how much people make verses how much they spend.  How can someone afford a 2 million vacation home on Nantucket?  What do they do for work?  And more importantly, do they need an assistant?  Or a wife?  Or a mistress?  Ha, kidding!  Kind of.  But seriously, there is so much money out there, where does it all come from?!  I just don't get it.






Anyway, as if I wasn't baffled enough by the teeny boats, there was this massive boat docked across the way from us.  It was called the Kanaloa and after some intense Google searches on our blackberries, we found out that it was a charter yacht that is 158 feet long and costs $225,000 per week to rent.  $225,000 A WEEK!!!  I have so many questions.  Who can afford that?!  If I couldn't understand buying a $100,000 boat, there is absolutely no way I can fathom blowing a quarter of a million bucks just to RENT one.  Am I alone here?  Please tell me I am not the only one that cannot wrap my head around this.  I couldn't get a picture of the huge yacht, pretty much because it was getting dark out and we were too far away for the flash to work.  You can Google it if you are interested in seeing what it looks like.  No but seriously, where does that kind of money come from?  Pyramid schemes?  Oil?  Stocks?  Like,  how do I get in on this?

1 comment:

  1. omg what a waste of money!!! Thats far too close to how much my house costs....A HOUSE, not a weeks worth of boating pleasure!

    ReplyDelete