101 in 1001 Challenge

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

87. Visit 3 Farmers Markets

So on June 28th I made my way to Barry's Farm Stand smack in the middle of the most industrial area of Dorchester.  It looks so completely out of place, as if someone just threw some metal slabs up and decided to start a farmer's market.  It semi-baffled me every time I drove by, but there were always cars outside, and people mingling in the side of the road, so I knew it had a following.  I've been keeping my eye on it for the past few years, so it must be good if it's been able to stay open, right?  That's what I think of, okay the Board of Health hasn't closed it, people are still lining up, it's good enough for me!  


I drove over there, with the mission of buying blackberries and plums for the vodka 'project'.  I parked my car and suddenly got nervous.  I'd never been to a farm stand before, at least in my 'adult life'.  Now that I thought about it, I don't even really know what plums LOOK like.  Sure, I've seen them on the Nantucket Nectars labels before, but I've never bought one.  How do I know when they're ripe?  Are they supposed to be hard or soft?  Gah who knew buying fruit was so complicated.  I mustered up the courage to go inside and was greeted by the nicest man.  Barry, the owner of the fruit stand, chatted with me, asked if I was looking for anything in particular and obviously, pretending I like I knew everything, I casually mentioned I needed plums and blackberries and got to examining.  Plums are a lot smaller than I thought they were, I always thought they were like peaches, but nope, teenier.  I picked up each one and inspected it, like I knew what I was looking for, I didn't, and put them in my bag.  I decided that 4 plums and 1 package of blackberries per jug would do.  As I was walking towards the cash register I saw chunks of ginger and decided it needed to be in the vodka.  I really like ginger, I like drinking it, eating it, hi look at Ratty!  He's even a ginger.


As I was paying, Barry and I were chit chatting.  I told him this was my first time shopping at his stand and he thanked me for stopping in.  I said I'd be back and that I would tout it to all my friends, which I'm totes doing right now.  He rang up all my items and it came to $4 and change.  That's it!  I couldn't get over how much stuff I got for such little money.  I was really impressed with the quality of the fruits too.  I got home and washed everything down, and each berry was perfect.  Not one plum was bruised and when I started to chop everything, they were perfectly ripe.  The was no mushiness, brown spots or anything else icky.  In case you hadn't guessed by now, I've never actually eaten a plum or held one, I just like the flavor or the essence really.  The same goes for cherries.  I typically keep my fruit flavor consumption isolated to Nantucket Nectars and jelly beans and Mike and Ike's, which I'm eating right now.  So, I tried my first plum and liked it.  She likes it, Amy likes it!  



This is literally the worst photo ever.  It was right after I borrowed Ratty's camera and apparently I was still learning how to use it.  Like, I'm 100% focused on the wind shield.  And the dirt.  And the glob of sap that has been sitting in the middle of my window for about 4 months.  Barry's Farmers Market looks like it's a decrepit monstrosity.  I apologize.  I'm ashamed.  This is straight up awful.  

1 comment:

  1. hahaha No need for apologies I am sure Barry will forgive!

    ReplyDelete