Gamma Phi Beta was founded on November 11th, 1874 by 4 women at Syracuse University, Helen M. Dodge, Frances E. Haven, E. Adeline Curtis and Mary A. Bingham. Our colors are brown and mode (light and dark brown), chosen for Dr. Brown, a professor at Syracuse, that allowed Gamma Phi Beta to host early meetings in his office. Our symbol is the Crescent Moon which stands for the growth of our sorority as well as our individual members. Our flower is the Pink Carnation, which has been revered for almost 2,000 years as one of the most long lasting flowers. Finally, our motto is 'Founded Upon A Rock'. E. Adeline Curtis said the following about why that was chosen as our motto, 'Since the rock is the firmest and most enduring substance, able to withstand the ravages of time, and offering the strongest protection, it seemed fitting that Gamma Phi Beta should be thus founded.' Though we are a non-denominational organization, we have been known to use the following quote from the bible, 'And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.'
I love Gamma Phi Beta, I feel very honored to have been chosen to be a sister and like to think of it as a lifelong membership - it's not 4 years it's for life.
{A shot of all the collegiate members at the Founders Day celebration.}
{The Epsilon Eta Alumnae.}








And with all that fun info, let's not forget that our badge was designed by Tiffany's and voted most beautiful! ;)
ReplyDeleteYes, I know! I actually have a picture of my badge coming up, so I was saving that fact for my next post.
ReplyDeleteOMG I looove this!
ReplyDelete