One my favorite places to eat is the S&S Deli in Inman Square in Cambridge . I’ve been going there since I was little and hardly ever change my order, I am that loyal. I always get the turkey club without tomatoes on white toast. Sometimes, if we go for Sunday brunch, I’ll venture out and get Eggs Benedict, but that's where I draw the line, I go no further. I had been raving about this place to Ratty for years, YEARS and he had yet to experience it correctly. I say correctly because he'd eaten there only once before, he sat at the bar and ordered a less than stellar beer, followed by an okay dinner. He obviously didn’t have a seasoned S&S fan with him, because I would have made his first experience SO much better.
Ratty had gotten my mom a gift card to the S&S (originally the Es & Es which is Yiddish for eat and eat, and we do, don’t worry), so she insisted on taking me and Ratty to brunch. There was no complaining or feet dragging from us, since it's common knowledge that we LOVE brunch. As expected the restaurant was very busy, so we took a number and waited a few minutes for our table. No matter what time of day you go, the S&S is always crowded, always. I've been on non-holiday Wednesday afternoon and there are people at every table - don't people work?!
Our first order of business was ordering drinks - I got a strawberry mimosa, while Ratty got a traditional mimosa and my mom got a Bloody Mary. I really wish I liked Bloody Mary’s, they look amazing, and people rave about them. I come from a long line of Bloody Mary drinkers, we have secret family recipes that are made by the gallon for parties, but I just can't bring myself to like them. Le sigh.
We poured over the menu, well, Ratty poured, while my mom and I knew exactly what we were going to order, we get the same things every time! We started off with an order of boneless S&S wings, which are delicious and more sweet than spicy. I followed up with the Eggs Benedict, my mom got knockwurst and beans (this place is a straight up Yiddish Deli, for sure), and Ratty got the Petit Filet, which came with poached eggs and potato pancakes. All the food was absolutely amazing, I would expect nothing less, obviously. Ratty could not stop gushing about how good his brunch was, which made me proud since I'd been plugging the place for 5 years. It was an amazing brunch and we walked out of there so full we were swearing off food forever. That did not last long, as I'm sure I was hungry again a mere 3 hours later. Typical.
Our first order of business was ordering drinks - I got a strawberry mimosa, while Ratty got a traditional mimosa and my mom got a Bloody Mary. I really wish I liked Bloody Mary’s, they look amazing, and people rave about them. I come from a long line of Bloody Mary drinkers, we have secret family recipes that are made by the gallon for parties, but I just can't bring myself to like them. Le sigh.








The S&S was just as awesome as I have been hearing about for five years.
ReplyDeleteAlso, can we PLEEEEEEEEASE go to The Aegean!?!?!?
Dear Amy and Ratty:
ReplyDeleteI lived in Inman Square for just over a year when I first moved to the area in 1998 and S&S has been, ever since, one of my favorite places ever. I love it with a deep and abiding fervor. I am glad you feel the same.
I LOVE the S&S so much! I am glad that other people have such a deep love for it as I do!
ReplyDeleteI am wondering if you ever took me...due my lack of a proper memory I cannot answer this....but either way you've left me hungry...at midnight...
ReplyDelete