101 in 1001 Challenge

Friday, March 4, 2011

62. November 17th, 2010 Picture.

The local Country radio station in Boston, WKLB, hosts a concert series at the Hard Rock Café downtown, and sells tickets for $10 or $20.  The first one they did was with Gloriana, tickets were $10, and it was AMAZING.  The space they use for the shows is pretty small, about 150-200 people tops, so the shows are really intimate and there is no bad angle of the stage. 

This time around they were hosting Sunny Sweeney and Josh Kelley, otherwise known as Mr. Katherine Heigl and the brother of Charles Kelley from Lady A.  I asked Ratty if he wanted to go, and for $10 a ticket it was pretty hard to say no.  We grabbed food at a near by restaurant, McCormick & Schmicks, that offers really cheap, but good food from 5-7 every day.  I think Ratty and I each got a burger and fries for $4, plus $2 Coors Light drafts.  Definitely keeping in theme with our cheap date night. 

We got to the show a little before 7pm and made our way towards the stage.  Sunny Sweeney came on right at 7pm, and sang some covers as well as original songs.  Her big radio hit is 'Table Away’, which she closed her set out with.  She was good, but most people only knew her one song, so it was hard for the audience to really get into it. 


 

After she was done Josh Kelley came out, and he was great.  He talked a lot to the crowd, telling us about the meaning of the songs and why he wrote them.  He had hilarious conversations with his bassist, drank straight whiskey and would decide what song he wanted to play next based on crowd applause.  This made Ratty and I both wonder, out loud, what is he doing with Katherine Heigl?!  She comes across as a not very nice person, and he is like, so cool.  I want to be friends with him, hang out with him, get invited to parties where there will be equally as awesome famous people in attendance.  He was just very personable and put on a really great show.  Ratty and I were equally impressed.



Another thing that I love about these Country 102.5 concert series is that you get to meet the performers after.  We all lined up after the show, got autographs and our pictures taken with Sonny and Josh.  Ratty made a really  great point that there aren’t many genre’s of music that have such approachable artists.  We didn’t win a contest, we didn’t have to pay a hundred bucks, we paid $10, which all went to charity, and got a great show PLUS the opportunity to meet them.  Just another reason that shows just how awesome country music is.  And yes, Josh was just as cool in person.  I really want to be friends with him in real life.



{Best friends forever!}


{I dug up this gem of Ratty meeting Gloriana.  Ratty + Cheyenne 4eva.  True luv!  Just ask him, he will readily admit it.}

4 comments:

  1. Josh is amazing and despite what you might read in the press about his wife - Katherine Heigl is nothing like they portray her. She is super friendly and they are a great couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled across your blog (I'm a fellow 101 in 1001 Days person) and wanted to leave a quick note wishing you best of luck on your list. You've got some great things on there. I may be stealing from you for my next 101 Things list.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I am envious... even though I am not a HUGE country fan, this sounds awesome and cheap none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading Thomas! I really appreciate you taking a minute to comment, it's so nice of you! Good luck with your 101 list - you've got a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete