101 in 1001 Challenge

Thursday, March 17, 2011

62. November 22nd, 2010 Picture.

I feel like I’ve been writing about Gamma Phi a lot, but I guess it’s great because I just love it so much!  November 22nd was a Monday night and I headed down to Bridgewater to help out with Elections – an advisors work is never done.  November 22nd also happens be our local Founders Day, the day that Epsilon Eta became an official chapter. 

Our badge was designed by Tiffany & Co., and has been voted the most desirable badge amongst all sorority pins.  It is pretty beautiful, if you ask me, don't ya think?  Did you know that the term 'sorority' was coined for Gamma Phi Beta?  It was created for us by Dr. Frank Smalley and we are considered the very first sorority.  Even now, most people equate sororities with female organizations, but that isn't always true.  There are a lot of female organizations that really female fraternities, PLUS you can have coed fraternities.  Try and wrap your head around that one.  

Our badge design hasn't changed very much since 1874, it’s a black enamel crescent moon, our symbol, cradling our letters.  There is just something really special about knowing that only a select few women will ever be able to own and wear this badge proudly. It was designed with our founders and sisters in mind and symbolizes our legacy as a sorority.   It’s 137 years of history that I am pretty proud to be apart of.  I feel very lucky to have found Gamma Phi Beta, given the choice to pick any organization, there is no doubt in my mind I would have chosen Gamma Phi a million times over.   Sometimes I can't believe they picked me too. 



1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! I need to bring mine out of the box more often! I love what it symbolizes! In IIKE!

    ReplyDelete