101 in 1001 Challenge

Friday, March 4, 2011

62. November 16th, 2010 Picture.

Ratty sent lilies to me at work.  Actually, he hunted all over Boston before finally finding a place open before 8am, and hand delivered them to my office.  He was so sneaky that he came over to my office building before walking to his, just to deliver them.  We have pretty high security at my office, think one step down from fingerprint and cornea scanning, so he couldn’t just pop in at my desk like my last job.  He had to check in a security desk and then walk them down to our mail room.  The mail room apparently called my desk and left a message for me, around 9:15am, to let me know they were down there, but I didn't get it.  Poor Ratty was waiting patiently for me to acknowledge his hard word and I was absolutely clueless.  I finally picked them up around 2pm, much to the chagrin of all the mail room clerks.  They were like ‘so you’re the one with the flowers!’  I quickly returned to my desk and prominently displayed them at my desk.




{While walking down the street the day before, I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and told Ratty that I smelled lilies, so the very next day he turned around and bought me some.}

Cue influx of people asking me questions.  ‘Oh my gosh what is that amazing smell?  Is it your birthday?  Your anniversary?  A special occasion?  Wait, so he just got you flowers for no reason?’ And so on and so on.  They were pretty spectacular and hard to miss, which caused each and every person that walked by to stop and admire them.  Everyone was surprised that I got flowers ‘for no reason’, and multiple female co-workers promptly called their husbands to complain that I got flowers, and why don’t they do anything nice for them anymore.  No seriously, I can think of 3 people who picked up their phones and were like ‘but Amyyyyy got flowers!’  I even joked to Ratty that he was making people he didn’t even know look bad.

I kept them on my desk for the rest of the week and basked in the glow of compliments – giving Ratty his due credit of course.  My whole office area was filled with the fresh scent of lilies that literally stopped people in their tracks.  A girl could get used to this.

2 comments:

  1. Those flowers are lovely. Whenever someone gets flowers at our office, it's the story of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. swoon...I can give Ratty my address if he needs it!

    ReplyDelete