We woke up bright and early on Saturday morning for my appointment at the White Elephant Spa for a massage. Since our Rue La La package included a $25 spa credit, I quickly made an appointment at the nicest spa on the island for a 60 minute deep tissue massage - such a tough life I lead. Although, paying the bill, even with the $25 credit, which was a drop in a very, very deep bucket, was a slightly tougher pill to swallow. I love living the life, but rarely enjoying paying for it.
Ratty and I grabbed a quick bite at our Inn, completely with coffee to go, and made the 5 minute trip to the White Elephant. We had to walk right along the shore, which literally caused my eyes to tear and then promptly caused the tears to freeze to my face. I would naturally blame it on the fact that we were walking right on the water, but when you're on a 14 mile island, I am pretty sure that everywhere is 'right on the water'. After finally reaching our destination, after what seemed like the most epic battle since Shackleton explored the South Pole, I said goodbye to Ratty who headed back towards town to find a cup of coffee and a newspaper.
I was quickly ushered into a bright, sunny room, with 3 chaise lounges, a fireplace and french doors leading to a small patio. I sipped my coffee, laid back in the chair, and pretended to hear the crackling of the fire. It was electric, not that I'm complaining in the slightest, I just like the crackling, so I imagined it. After a few minutes of waiting, although with this scenery I would have waited forever, it was time for my massage. It was really great, nice and relaxing with an extremely hot room that made me feel as I was working out AND getting a massage. Being honest though, it wasn't the best massage I've ever had. I have extremely tense shoulders, like you'll break your hand it you try to massage them, type shoulders, so I love deep tissue massages that almost make me cry and leave me feeling as if I have black and blues all over my back for days after. What? That's totally normal, right?
After slowly pulling myself away from the spa, I walked back to the Bed and Breakfast to meet up with Ratty. He'd gone out and had a second breakfast, so he was caffeinated up and totally full. Boo to that because I was starving again already. I quickly showered [there is zero point to even trying to get ready before a massage because once they start massaging your face and your head and your hair gets all oily, it's a lost cause.] We decided to walk around, pick up a few souvenirs [as if we really need more] before finding a place to have lunch.
Each time I've been to Nantucket, I hone in on something I really want and spend the entire trip searching for the perfect one. The first year I desperately needed a sweatshirt, so I combed all the shops before buying the absolute best one ever. No seriously, I've never seen another one like it and I get compliments on it all the time. The second time I went, with my dearest Erin Rowe, I bought my sweatshirt blanket which is the greatest blanket on the face of the planet. The last time Ratty and I went I wanted a really nice long sleeved shirt, which I bought and then promptly spilt coffee all over. It had a great 4 day run. This trip however I wanted a few things. I was always keeping an eye out for maritime flags for my car, the perfect bumper sticker, and a hat.
While I never found my hat, and I did buy a bumper sticker, and FINALLY found my maritime flags! There are 26 different ones, each standing for a different letter of the alphabet. They are made of thick, hard plastic and stick right to the back of your car, or anywhere else you'd like to put them, really. My friend Maura had some that she got as a gift and I'd been looking for them ever since. I found them at the Sunken Ship, a random shop with a mix of souvenirs, diving equipment and clothing - a totally random mix, but came in clutch in the end. I bought the flags that represent an A, C and D to spell out my initials and plan on adding them to my bumper stat!
After grabbing lunch at the nice and warm Fog Island Cafe, we made our way back to the Inn to freshen up. Of course I fell straight on the bed, after our lunch of soup and sandwiches I was warm and fuzzy and in the need of a rest. What is it about Nantucket?!
After a few zzz's we once again freshened up and made the exciting trek to the Cisco Brewery for our long awaited reunion. From those who frequent my blog, you KNOW how much I love this place. Knowing it would be a complete 180 from our trip in July, Ratty and I went in with reasonable expectations, all of which were exceeded. First off, we thought it would be pretty dead. We heard it shut down around 7pm in the winter and only inhabited one of the small cottages, instead of 3, so we assumed it would be pretty mellow. We're we wrong. The place was absolutely mobbed, with every seat at the bar taken, people sitting outside, dogs running through our legs and so much talking, laughing, yelling we immediately thought we crashed a private party. So THIS is where everyone was hiding!
When at Cisco I never know what to order. Do I order the awesome Lady of the Woods, which is my favorite Grey Lady beer soaked in Chardonnay casks for 10 months or do I get a mixed drink, made with their deliciously flavored vodka? Hm, such tough questions. I opted for a mixed drink, combining blueberry vodka, soda and lime to made a fabulously yummy AND strong beverage.
{Ahh, home sweet home.}
{Back where we belong.}
We spent a much longer time at the brewery than we thought we would. We were under the impression it shut down around 7pm, but 7pm came and went without the slightest hint of last call. We found 2 seats at a huge communal table, where we started making friends with the most adorablist little dog who was scurrying around. We stocked up on merchandise, my brothers will thank me when they get their custom beer orders straight from the brewery, and decided that our future little puppy will be named Cisco and will wear a little Cisco Brewery bandana around his neck.
We peeled ourselves away, literally peeled since the place wasn't closing and we didn't want to leave, but we had dinner reservations to get to. We called the cab who'd dropped us off earlier in the day and stood outside, staring at the stars, imagining what it would be like to someday live [at least part time] on Nantucket.
{As if people weren't sure which way the bar was.}
Once back at the hotel, we tapped into a few beers we'd bought earlier in the day at the package store, and slowly got ready before our dinner reservations at Lola 41. Ratty and I absolutely LOVE that restaurant, and have had zero trouble getting a reservation, even on the busiest of nights. Granted we have no problem eating at 9:30pm, so that frees up a lot of options.
{A few of my favorite Grey's Lady before dinner.}
We made the short walk over to Lola a little early so that we could have a few drinks at the bar and enjoy the atmosphere. This place is seriously amazing, with some of the best food I've ever had in my entire life. Every time we've gone, we've been treated like royalty, which is pretty amazing on an island where it's all about who you know and how much you're worth. This time was no exception, and the owner sat us at the bar before our table was ready. Seats at this place are coveted, so the fact that was willing to give up 4 seats for us on a Saturday night was pretty fantastic.
We got one of our favorite high top tables in the bar area, and went to ordering all our old favorites, as well as some new ones. We first put in an order of edamame and a spicy shrimp tempura roll before even looking at the dinner menu. We like to take our time and enjoy every bite...and sip.
{Before.}
{Crushed.}
{SO good!}
{Nah, I don't think we liked it.}
For our main course, we both just happened to order the gnocchi bolognese, and let me tell you, it was the most out of the world thing I've ever tasted. The gnocchi were light and fluffy and the sauce was so delicious I wanted to take a bath in it. There were plenty of parmesan ribbons that I wasn't forced to ration out the cheese from the start, I hate rationing. I feel like this is what judging Top Chef must be like. I seriously dream of this at night. Hell, I'm dreaming of it right now! It is the standard to which I hold all gnocchi and sauce, and cheese for that matter, and nothing has yet to measure up. If given one last meal, I may in fact choose this. Yes, that good.
The day was full of all our favorite things.








Such a nice day! Love the picture to end the post!!
ReplyDelete