For example, I bought 3 books at an antique store in Gloucester when Ratty and I went over Memorial Day weekend (I wasn't joking when I said I hadn't written about my tasks in FOREVER!). In this particular antique store, The White Elephant, where Ratty had suddenly handed me his books and zipped out because he felt sick (anyone remember that post?), all the books in one particular room were ONE DOLLAR. Most books were ones I wasn't totally interested in, ones I wouldn't read and others I'd never even heard of, but there were 3 that caught my eye, and so now they sit on my bookshelf!
The first book is 'Thunderstruck' by Erik Larson, who has written 'Devil in the White City' and 'Isaac's Storm'. I've read both of those, and even started Thunderstruck before buying it, but it was slow moving at the beginning and before I knew it, it was time for me to return it to the library. It is supposed to be very good, about the invention of trans-Atlantic communication interwoven with a story about a doctors murder. Erik Larson picks these fantastic moments in history and researches them until he is able to weave together them most interesting and historical factual stories. 'Devil in the White City' is easily one of the best books I've read, so I am excited to read another book by the same author.
The second is a book called 'What Should I Do With My Life' and I bought it because A) I ask myself that question on a daily basis, and B) it was signed by the author. It helps break down ideas and thoughts, and is supposed to help you realize what you love doing and how that can be transferred to a career and happy life. Should be good!
The last book I bought is titled 'Great Waters' and it is all about the evolution of the ocean. How storms and time can change the floors of the sea, and how that affects the eco-system and subsequently change how animals and fish survive. I assume this book will be a lot about science, shocker, but I am excited to learn more about the ocean, instead of my limited knowledge like, I know I like to lay next to it in the summer.








Sounds like interesting reads...not sure I would be able to sit down and read them though!
ReplyDelete