For the week of Labor Day, the Boston Center for Adult Education was offering a first of its kind (for them at least) week of discounted classes. It was called Take 10 for 10, and it was a series of 1 hour classes that cost only $10 each. Granted, they were flash in the pan, one shot deals, but it was a great idea to test out a few subjects and see if I was interested in signing up for more comprehensive classes. I signed up for 3 classes that sounded interesting – why not when they are only $10 each! I registered for ‘French for Travelers’, ‘Promoting Your Blog’ and ‘Tarot Card Reading’. I’ve always wanted to take French lessons, so I thought this intro class would be perfect, not that I am planning on traveling to France anytime soon, but you never know when you might need a little French knowledge. I was curious about the class “Promoting Your Blog’ and I wanted to learn new things about writing, publishing and marketing, because hi, I have a blog. Finally, ‘Tarot Card Reading’ just sounds fascinating, right? I am totally into my horoscopes, stars and all things the like, so getting an introductory class into the world of Tarot’s was right up my alley.
The first 2 classes were on Sept 7th, with Tarot reading on the 8th. I quickly realized that 1 hour isn’t that long, so the classes were much more general that I expected, but still interesting. For the French class, we learned how to ask for directions (although I’d probably be unable to understand the response), and how to order food in a restaurant. You could tell that most people were either traveling to Paris in the near future, or had already taken French before, so a few times I sat glassy eyed while the teacher talked about gender and how if it’s feminine you don’t pronounce the t provided it isn’t followed by a plural pronoun or something equally as confusing.
The blog class was interesting as well, but didn’t offer any real insight to things I didn’t already know. Making your blog searchable on Google and other popular search engines is a great idea, but if you are looking for a new job, like moi, you definitely don’t want any potential employer to find it. This happened actually. I linked my blog to my Twitter account, and a Dean I interviewed with at a local college said that he found it, and he really loved it. He said that I inspired him to visit Nantucket (hi, because it’s AWESOME, hello!). Sadly, I didn’t get the job. Their loss, obvi. While I do think that my blog is overwhelmingly positive and I want people to read it, I just thought that having it searchable while searching for jobs probably wasn’t the best idea. The blog class teacher agreed. She also went over ways to add pictures, fonts, colors and banners, but obviously I already knew how to do all that. Because I rock.
I technically took the Tarot Card Reading class on the 8th, but I’ll give a little run down about that class too. It was the best, by far, of all the classes I took. It was extremely interesting and interactive, it definitely made me want to take another class to learn more about it. We were all shown a tarot card, and given a few minutes to come up with some ideas about it. Was it positive or negative? What did all the colors mean? How did it make you feel when looking at it? Etc. Then we went around the room and all shared our opinions about the card. This was the most interesting because some people saw things I didn’t, or thought the card screamed negativity when I thought it was outstandingly positive. Tarot Card Reading is all about the perception of the person reading the cards, it depends on their feelings, mood and the connection they have with you. Our teacher told us that we should almost ‘interview’ a reader before making an appointment with them, because a lot depends on your personalities meshing. I had no idea it was so involved, but I was SO intrigued.
At the end of the class, the teacher stayed a few minutes late to read some of the cards we had in front of us. She took one look at mine and said she needed A LOT more time to talk about me. I wonder if that’s good or bad…
I had a great time taking my sample classes at the BCAE, and definitely plan on taking lots more. Question, I have take 5 new classes on my 101 list, do you think these classes count, or is it kind of cheating since they were only an hour? Any feedback is welcomed!








I think it counts. They're technically classes and the BCAE sometimes only offers one class (ex: cooking), so if you took one of those classes, you'd only be taking one class. Even though they're intro, I'd still say they count.
ReplyDeleteOh and I know how much you love the South End, wanted to tell you The Gallows just recently started doing brunch. Love that place.
I think they count! I have had this thought a few times too about certain things on my list. But I think it ultimately comes down to "your list, your blog, your rules." You spent 3 hours in 3 new classes, that should count for something! :) I wish we had a BCAE type place here in Portland... well, maybe we do, I'm gonna look into it!
ReplyDeleteAbby! How is it I JUST found your blog?! I just added it to my google reader. I am definitely going to check out The Gallows, the Scotch egg on their site sounds amazing!
ReplyDeleteI am going to count these classes towards #77. I have 3 votes for yes and 0 votes for no, so I'm sold!
Laura, I bet Portland has something like BCAE. Hope you find it and get to take lots of classes!
I would love to do something like this!! I would also say these should count!!
ReplyDelete