Sunday was our last day on Nantucket, and I was already sad to be leaving. 4 days hardly seemed like enough time this past summer, so 3 days seemed like a cruel, cruel joke. I mean, this is coming from the girl who looks at people leaving the island as our ferry pulls in and I need to address how sad they must be. I watch people arrive as I'm leaving and go 'they're JUST getting here! I'm so jealous.' My mind works in mysterious ways, don't even try and rationalize it.
We woke up and decided to go out to breakfast. We'd been frequenting the same spots all weekend, and we were in the mood to check out some place new. For such a small island, there are TONS of places we've yet to sample, so finding a good brunch spot was uber easy. We found the Center Street Bistro, which was in the back of a small building that also housed our favorite coffee shop, The Bean. It was a teensy place, maybe 10 tables tops, with lots of sunlight and local art lining the walls. We nabbed one of the last open tables and settled in for a nice, relaxing brunch.
All of the items on the Center Street Bistro menu were made with local organic ingredients, guaranteeing that the quality and freshness would be unparalleled. I ordered the Huevos Rancheros while Ratty got the French Toast - both plates were completely overloaded with awesome brunch goodness. I have to say, Huevos Rancheros is quickly becoming my new favorite brunch food. I used to be ever loyal to Eggs Benedict, and while I still love it, I love the different variations that exist of Huevos Rancheros. All of them being delicious and spectacular, of course.
Every table was taken and there were people constantly popping their heads in, checking to see if a table was free yet. We never felt rushed and just enjoyed inhaling our breakfast. The atmosphere was so relaxed and cozy - I don't know why it took us so long to find this place, but I am SURE we'll be back!
This is what the waitress wrote on the header of our bill. Granted, Ratty ordered coffee and I got Ginger Ale, but those these two words still sum us up perfectly. At first I thought the waitress wrote this because I brought my own coffee into the restaurant and because Ratty is a redhead, as if she wrote her description of us on the top of the bill as to not confuse it with anyone else. It wasn't until about 5 minutes of me being utterly confused that Ratty explained it to me. Vacations aren't meant for thinking, right?
After absolutely stuffing our faces to the point where we needed to be rolled out of the restaurant, we needed to get some fresh air and walk around. We ended up at the docks, overlooking the boat basin, once again contemplating how we could pick up and move to Nantucket semi-permanently.
Ratty sat crouched in this position for no less than 20 minutes, attempting to get the perfectly artistic shot of the boats and the ducks. He was so engrossed in the picture taking that he didn't even see me walk away. He likes to joke about how his father sends him pictures of the foxes and birds in their backyard, but something tells me that Ratty and his dad have more in common than he's letting himself believe.
This stretch is typically bustling during the summer, with shops lining up and down the path, offering everything from furniture, clothing, jewelry to bait and tackle. It's almost scary to look around and see things so desolate. Although, like I've mentioned, having things be quiet and relaxing is a great change of pace.
Ahhh Slip 14. We had some crazyyy nights with you this past summer, Cougarita's anyone? It's hard to imagine you're closed. See you this summer!
After walking around and checking out of our hotel, we popped into Nantucket Bookworks, the local bookstore on the island. We thumbed through books, perused knick knacks and gifts, and even spotted an error in the infamous Fodors Almanac. Anything seem strange about the labeling of the islands in this picture? Oh I don't know, say they labeled them wrong or something? No seriously, the have Nantucket labeled as Martha's Vineyard and vice versa. Also, when did the abbreviation for Connecticut become CN? Fodors should hire me as a proof reader and send me to all these awesome places for free. What does that have to do with proof reading, you ask? Absolutely nothing, but it's still a great idea!
A trip to Nantucket wouldn't be complete with a photo of a cap acquired while on the island.
We ducked into Brotherhood for a few last drinks and a bite to eat before catching the ferry. It was the complete opposite of last year, which consisted of us spending the entire day at the Cisco Brewery and pushing our ferry back, arriving back in Boston around 2am. This time we lackadaisically walked around town, taking our time and enjoying every last second on the island, surprisingly sober. As much as I wanted to stretch this mini vacation a few more hours, the last ferry during the off season leaves at 5:30pm. We made the short trek down to the docks and said goodbye to Nantucket once again. Time to start planning our next trip, I guess!








Sounds like such a great weekend...and now I need to go! Random thought...My parents went there for their honeymoon, haha!
ReplyDelete