As you can imagine, the week between Christmas and New Years was absolutely dead at work. And when I say dead, I mean DEAD. There was not a sole in sight, plus I was the only one from my department in the office, so literally not a sole in sight. We all have the capabilities to work from home remotely, but I was having issues with my laptop, the work one not my beloved MacBook, I would never speak ill of my personal laptop, it's perfect and I love it and it never fails. I don't ever want it to leave me [i.e. crash.....again], so I need to make sure I keep it happy and say nice things. Happy wife happy life! Or something like that.
Anyway, since I was having issues logging in from home, I went into the office every day that week. I was relatively new at that point, and there was honestly no reason for me NOT to go into work. If I had plans, or a vacation to go on, I obviously would have taken the days off, but I couldn't rationalize using precious vacation days in the middle of winter for no real reason. There was absolutely nothing preventing me from going to work, except that pesky whole getting out of bed thing, so off I went like a responsible, and well dressed employee.
Ratty was off that entire week, so he stopped by to drop off a huge box of treats from Mike's pastry in the North End. He'd left them off in the mail room and they got delivered to my desk right around lunchtime. Isn't that so sweet? He's really thoughtful, but obviously you all already know that. He'd even written out a card, telling me that I had to share with my work friends. Hm, what work friends?! I was totally alone! I thought about taking all the pastries home and eating them myself, but something about that seemed wrong, plus I'd already gotten called out for not sharing, so I had to prove Ratty wrong. I can share! I made sure to send my co-workers an email, gloating about my delicious desserts, just to make everyone jealous. As if they would really be jealous that they weren't at work. Wishful thinking on my part.
I grabbed a few things that I wanted, like a moon pie and cannoli, and then took the box of sweets around and offered them up to people on my floor. Boy, I got to meet people real quick! If you want to make friends, walk around with sugar, it's a no fail situation! Thanks Ratty!
{Ratty knows these are my favorite!}








I think that every workplace is totally a ghost town that week. The people with seniority (aka the bosses) are gone so it always kind of feels like your parents left the kids in control.
ReplyDeleteDAMN you Amy...now I want something sugary and delicious! That Ratty is quite the perfect guy....tell me something he does thats bad/annoying.....I'm waiting!
ReplyDelete