101 in 1001 Challenge

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

62. January 9th, 2011 Picture.

Sunday morning, after our crazy Saturday night out, I was up bright and early to head down to Bridgewater for my sorority sister Kelly's daughter Sophia's christening with Ratty.  Phew that was a mouthful!  I am sure that most readers remember lil Soph and my record baby holding day last summer, so you can imagine how excited I was to get to see her again!

I had wracked my brain, trying to come up with a Christening gift, as you're all aware I love finding the perfect gift for people!  I thought jewelry, a baby blanket, savings bonds [though I am pretty sure they are a dying trend if not dead already].  I finally decided on a snow globe, with a  little girl praying, with the 'Now I lay me down to sleep' poem etched along the bottom.  I am not overly religious, but thought that this was sweet without screaming Catholic in people's faces - I definitely didn't want to do that.  I had the front plate engraved with her name, Sophia Jean, along with a crescent moon, which is Gamma Phi Beta's symbol.  Bringing it full circle here!  

Note: I went shopping for it with Ratty and agonized for at least 20 minutes about how the engraving should be, should it be centered, should the crescent moon go above her name, below her name, to the side of her name?  Ratty thought 'engraving' was all just one option, he had no idea there were so many details that went along with it.  When I told him I was putting the crescent moon with a bundle of stars on the plate in honor of Gamma Phi, he looked at me dumbfounded and was like, if given an unlimited time to think, I would have never, ever in a million years come up with that idea.  I gave myself a little pat on the back for thinking of that one!




The Christening was at the same church in Bridgewater where Kelly and Tom were married.  It was a full mass, followed by a reception at a nearby golf course.  It was most definitely the largest christening I've ever been too, but it was really great that Kelly and Tom invited their families and friends to spend the day together.  Obviously, since I was wrestling with so many people, I barely got any time with Miss Sophie!  


I mean just LOOK at those cheeks!  That girl is just so adorable and we matched!  It was totally unplanned but oh so cute regardless!  No wonder I had such a hard time grabbing some quality time with her, how can anyone part with that face?!

3 comments:

  1. haha she is too sweet! I love love love those cheeks!

    Such a great gift and one she will love in a year when she can do it!

    PS - both Emma and Izzie have bonds from their christenings and they are actually a pretty good bet considering the market as they double in value. Although that snow globe is so very perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow globe with engraving, for special occasions, one of my fav gifts! Recipient/parent of recipient, ALWAYS a big hit and lasts forever! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a baby lover ~ awesome gift giver ~ and a true blue proud Gamma Phi! Doesn't get much better than that!

    Great picture of you and Sophie! You are both adorable! XO

    ReplyDelete