101 in 1001 Challenge

Monday, May 9, 2011

24. Try Brunch at 25 New Places - Stephi's on Tremont.

Remember my pumpkin?  My awesome little pumpkin that I was borderline obsessed with all fall/winter?  I bought it at the SoWa Farmers Market and carried it around with me all afternoon – it was just so darn cute!  Well, I think I have waited a sufficient amount of time to recap out actual brunch that took place on that very same day, what do you think? 

Since the South End is filled with lots of amazing restaurants, practically one on every corner, it’s no surprise that this neighborhood is a destination for Sunday Brunch.  Each restaurant was filled to the brim, with people packed in at the bar, enjoying mimosas and bloody mary’s on the beautiful fall day.  We decided to try out Stephi’s on Tremont street, mostly because it has a phenom reputation and was offering brunch later than a few other places we’d popped into.  Stephi is the same Stephanie who runs Stephanie’s on Newbury Street, and is the wife of TV advertising lawyer Jim Sokoloff.  Fun Fact!   Totally random right?  They're totally poor, but I digress.  

Since we’d spent the morning shopping at the open market, we had missed the majority of the brunch rush and some brunch options all together!  That’s what we get for wanted to eat at 2:45pm.  I think there should be a law that makes restaurants serve brunch until at least 3pm on Sundays, what say you all?  It totally worked in our favor though as the place was  relatively busy, but we only had to wait a few minutes before our table was ready.  Thankfully, we had mimosas in hand, which made the 5 minute waiting period so much less painful.  Mimosas are known to make almost anything less painful, I mean, think about it.

Stephi’s is an adorable little spot with lots of windows, natural light, and comfy booths all around the dining room.  The molding is white, accented with dark wood floors and leather studded booths, which makes the place modern, classic and utterly perfect.  It is what I imagine a millionaire’s kitchen to look like – amazing upholstered chairs outfitted in traditional yet funky prints, white marble bartops, white pendant lamps and a private dining room with French doors and beautiful textured wallpaper.  Seriously, I want to know their designer, whom I obviously would never be able to afford but I could at least stalk their website and steal decorating ideas.


{The true star of the day!}

I was having a definite craving for huevos rancheros, which is quickly becoming my new favorite brunch food, I still love you Eggs Benedict, but I’m just taking a little break, hope that’s okay!  While Stephi’s didn’t have huevos on their menu, they did have this amazing Mexican dish which absolutely hit the spot.  It was called Arepa con Chorizo, which was a corncake topped with grilled chorizo salad, 2 eggs sunny side up covered in pico de gallo.  It was spicy, yummy and all around delicious.  I even joked that I could have eaten another order, but I refrained. 


{Doesn't it look amazing?!  Minus the cilantro, I hate cilantro, but it was easily removable and in no way hurt the deliciousness of my meal.}

The service was great, with our waiter bringing coffee and mimosa refills exactly when we needed them.  I definitely rank Stephi's high up on my brunch list!  Two down, 23 to go!


{You get the idea.}

2 comments:

  1. hahaha How do you know this stuff...Jim Sokoloff...haha!

    always.hungry.when.reading.your.posts.

    I would like to accompany you on one of your brunch adventures...just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you about brunch being served longer hours. I'm a big fan of going to an early morning movie and since they still frown upon bringing mimosas to the theatre...... :)

    ReplyDelete