101 in 1001 Challenge

Friday, May 27, 2011

62. January 6th, 2011 Picture.

In true Ratty fashion, he got screening tickets to see the movie 'Country Strong' a day or two before it hit theaters.  He knows how much I love country music, so he knew I wanted to see it.  I mean, free movie tickets, how could I possibly pass that up?


Normally previews are pretty packed, where you have to wait in line and even then it's not a guarantee that you'll actually get a seat.  While there was a line for this one, the theater wasn't completely full.  Ratty and I chalked it up to the fact that the movie was coming out the next day, and there must have been sneak previews all week long.


I'm just gonna say it, I didn't love it.  The music was great, I'm totally going to buy the soundtrack, or illegally download it at least,  and I was really impressed that everyone did their own singing.  Gwyneth Paltrow has a great voice and she did a pretty believable job as a celebrity/recovering addict - I mean that in the nicest way possible.  I just didn't love the story.  The commercials made it look like a semi-entertaining, uplifting movie, sprinkled with country music, hi what's not to love about THAT, but it was a lot darker than I thought it would be.  Like, really dark, like overdoses, miscarriages, extramarital affairs,  and suicide attempts dark.  Yeaaaa.  I wanted to like it, I really did, but I just couldn't get behind it.  There was a baby bird in it at one point and I was more concerned about what was going to happen to the baby bird than Gwyneth's recovery.  Hm, that's probably not what the director was going for, huh?



1 comment:

  1. Ratty pulls through once again!! Note to self do not see Country Strong...thanks for the review Amy!

    ReplyDelete