Sunday afternoon myself, Ratty and my cousin Susan went to Shenanigan's in Southie to watch the football games [RIP Football Season, I'll miss you. I wear my Patriots hat everywhere as a sign of my love and devotion]. Since we were in the throws of the season, the bar was packed. We had a few beers, some lunch and watched the Pats completely crush the Dolphins. Ratty had bet that the Dolphins were going to win, mainly because the Pats had already clinched the AFC division title, so he thought that most of the first string players would sit this game out. I thought to myself, there is NO WAY Belichick is going to just lay down and let someone else win the game because it didn't matter. It's all about pride with the Pats, and I'm pretty sure winning is high up on their list of priorities. Shockingly, I was right and he was wrong and boy we did not let him forget it.
We wanted to stick around and watch the Colts game too, but the bar turned off the sound and put music on instead. I really don't understand the whole concept of playing music instead of the game, I mean, a game is MUCH more interesting than any song they could ever play. I don't want to listen to a random selection of muzak but maybe that's just me. We decided to pack it in and headed down the street to The Stadium instead - we knew they'd have the sound on.
This story really has nothing to do with my photo of the day, I just wanted to share it.
I took a picture of a sign in The Stadium that said 'Provisions'. Isn't that a cool word? There is a little sandwich shop on Nantucket called Provisions and they make some pretty amazing sandwiches, maybe I'm projecting my love of sandwiches and Nantucket on the word, but I'm okay with that and you should be too. I love old words, and I definitely think provisions is just that, an old word that doesn't get used all that much anymore. I imagine people in the 40s, heading to the store and saying they were going to buy provisions - and it just sounds so nice! I love the image it conjures up in my mind, even though I can't fully explain it. Am I the only person out there with favorite words? Provisions is high on the list, but my all-time favorite is apothecary. Again, an old word that is rarely used. I'm going to try and bring it back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








hahahaha I expect you to use both provisions and apothecary in a sentence the next time i see you!
ReplyDeleteI read this and I thought of this great site: http://www.savethewords.org/. It's basically a bunch of great words that are not really used, that you can adopt. I love just scrolling through and learning some of them.
ReplyDeleteI JUST adopted a word! It's totally bizarre, quadragintireme, not even totally sure how to pronounce it, but it means a vessel with 40 rows of oars. It's summer, I'm ready to use it every day in a sentence! I think I might be in love with this website!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you like it! And your word is kind of awesome. I adopted starrify a couple of months ago, cause I just love the idea of decorating something with stars and that someone took the time to figure out a word to describe it.
ReplyDeleteThis brings up a good question - Can you starrify a quadragintireme?
I LOVE stars and I am totally jealous of your word. I starrify everything and I also love the fact that someone felt the need to create that word. I am totally going to use it all the time!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm sure we could starrify a quadragintireme. If quadragintireme's existed anymore.