101 in 1001 Challenge

Thursday, September 9, 2010

62. August 13th, 2010 Picture.

Friday, August 13th, Ratty and I decided to hit up trivia at The Reef, which is the seasonal outdoor bar at the Aquarium.  Our friend Will is a trivia host there and has literally been on our case for 4 years to come to one of his trivia nights.  Since there wasn't anything going on that Friday, and I was pretty much taking it easy before going out on Saturday for my birthday, Ratty and I thought it would be a perfect plan.


I'd never been to The Reef bar before, but it was pretty nice.  Right on the harbor, in front of the Aquarium, with bathrooms no where near where we were sitting.  It was pretty chilly for an August night, but since it's right near the water and in the shade, I should have been more prepared.  I was pretty pumped for trivia, it was something Ratty and I use to go to weekly, but haven't really had the time lately.  My life is just so hard.  And unfair.  Anyway, between the two of us, Ratty and I have the most useless facts stored up in our heads.  Seriously.  I wish I could pick one amazing fact I know, right now, just pluck it from my brain, but the problem with having so many facts rolling around my head, I can never think of one on command.  A blessing AND a curse.


There were a few other teams, but after the first round of questions, we realized that only a few were truly playing, we had a perfect score, obviously because we're awesome.  Thankfully, for the knowledge I lack, like politics and geography, Ratty shines.  Ask me anything about TV, fashion, celebrities, gossip and music, and I'll know the answer.  One question asked what reality TV show had the tag line Auf Wiedersehen.  Um, hello Project Runway, duh EVERYONE knows that!  Yea, Ratty had no idea.


We made it to the final question, 1 point in the lead.  The way the trivia game worked, was that on the final question you could wager anywhere between 1-10 points.  If you got it right, you got that many points, but if you got it wrong, you would lose half that many points to your final score.  It became real tricky at the end and we had to think it through very carefully.  You'd think we were curing cancer or something, but no, just playing trivia.  The question was this: what is the number one imported beer in the USA?  Well, I know it's not Bud, because we now have a Bud plant in the USA, same with Guinness, Miller and Coors.  Hm, what else could it be?  We finally decided on Heineken, because they had both regular and light, and it's pretty much everywhere.  We bet 10 points, because if the other team got it wrong, and they wagered 10, we'd still win by 1 point.  If they got it right, it wouldn't matter anyway.  Well my friends, the correct answer is CORONA!  Never even thought of it.  Whoops.  We came in second, the other team totally knew it, always a bridesmaid, never a bride, I guess!  We did win a $10 gift certificate for The Reef, so our bar tab was next to nothing, which was a win in and of itself.  Will came over after to hang out, grab some food and make fun of us for not knowing the final answer.  What a great friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment