101 in 1001 Challenge

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

62. October 3rd, 2010 Picture.

October 3rd was a Sunday, so Ratty and I decided that we would venture to the South End and visit the SoWa Open Market (on the correct day this time and not when it was 100+ degrees out).  It wasn't the greatest day out, but at least it wasn't so hot that I thought I might burst into flames at any minute.  I met Ratty at the front entrance, where he surprised me with a flower.  Isn't he so cute?!  We grabbed coffee at a little cafe in a building close by and made our way through the market.  The only thing I really wanted, or the only thing I was dead set on buying, was a pumpkin.  I wanted something that clearly represented fall, and I thought a pumpkin would be the most perfect thing.  I didn't want to buy it first, and then have to carry it around with me all afternoon, so we put off the farmers market side of SoWa until the end, and made our way to the craft/artisan/food side.

This year they added an indoor portion to the market, where lots of antique and vintage market dealers set up little areas to sell their wares.  There was a 'shop' of repurposed furniture that was hand painted by two friends, and it was so adorable.  They had glass hurricanes on the tables filled with artichokes and lemons, and they had vintage, painted frames hanging on the wall, some were kept as picture frames, while others were turned into mirrors and chalkboards.  Someone could definitely get inspired by all the creative energy that flows through SoWa.  They have something for everyone, including an area set up with old school Nintendo and Atari stations.  You can guess where Ratty ended up.


Per usual, I wanted to buy a lot of things, but was able to talk myself out of it.  All I really wanted was a pumpkin, so we made our way to the farmers market side of SoWa to pick out the perfect one.


So obviously when you buy a pumpkin, you must carry it around with you and act like it's your child.  Ratty and I went to Stephi's on Tremont for brunch (a post coming soon on our delicious meal) and the pumpkin had a front row seat.  People were looking at me like, 'why did this girl bring her own centerpiece?' but I explained to the waiter that I just bought it at SoWa, which he totally understood.  

It was a great, quintessential fall day in Boston!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day!

    Ratty surprised you with a flower??? Yes, he is so cute!

    As Julian would say ~ "He is tho thoughtful, thweet and authom".

    Love the pumpkin! It certainly made a great centerpiece. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute/perfect pumpkin!

    Ratty is definitely awesome!

    ReplyDelete