101 in 1001 Challenge

Sunday, April 25, 2010

62. April 23rd, 2010 Picture.

I am a little torn about which photo I should use for today, I have a few.  I went to the Atrium Mall after work for some retail therapy, thank God for credit cards, and wandered in and out of some of my favorite stores.  I spend the majority of my time thoughtfully looking through racks of clothes, tables of books and walls of knick-knacks at Anthropologie, one of my many loves.  Everything in that store looks slightly random, but at the same time very carefully planned out.  I would love to purchase 1 of everything, but unfortunately, common sense and my bank account would never let that happen.  I love the variety of things they sell, perfumes, jewelry, books, accessories, plates, kitchenware, clothes, linen and furniture.  Everything has a very antique, lived in look to it, like it belongs in a countryside cottage in rural England.

I snapped this display photo, pretty much because it is nautically themed, and that my friends, is my FAVORITE theme.


After meandering through Anthropologie, and buying the sweetest top for $14, YES $14!, I made my way to another personal favorite, Borders.  The second I walked in, I smelled coffee, which obviously meant I needed a cup immediately.  After getting my medium de-caf s'mores non-fat latte, I walked through the Employees' Picks shelves, seeing what other people are suggesting.  There, in front of me, was the best book I've ever read, yep, you read that right BEST BOOK EVER.  Now, I read a lot and that is a huge compliment to bestow on a book, but I am serious and I mean it.  'Pillars of the Earth' had been on my 'must-read' list for a while, years actually.  I would add it my library request list and wait for it to come in patiently.  When it arrived the first time, I was a little overwhelmed with the 1000 pages and a 3 week time frame.  Ever since Oprah added it to her book club list (she was behind the curve) it was always being requested and I was never allowed to renew it.  This is the type of book that you need to savor, you cannot rush through it.  I finally bit the bullet and bought a copy for myself, and I immediately fell in love.  It is about the building of a cathedral in 12th century England, and spans about 60 years.  You may not think this sounds interesting, at all, but let me tell you it is stunning.  STUNNING.  The thoughtfulness and descriptive writing honestly took my breath away.  This book was actually bad for my health because I refused to put it down and was up until all hours of the night reading.  I didn't care if I got any sleep, I just wanted to keep going.   When I actually finished the book, I cried.  I was sad it was over.    Everyone I've ever recommended this book to has absolutely loved it as well.  There is a sequel, 'World Without End', but it takes place 100 years after 'Pillars of the Earth' ends.  If it is half as good as as the first book, I am sure I will love it.





{This literary masterpiece is also a true adventure story.  Follett, also known for his spy thrillers, takes you into the 12th century as a community struggles to build a cathedral.}

I'd also like to comment on the fact that I looked SO creepy taking photos in both Anthro and Borders.  I broke out into a sweat of nerves thinking that I was breaking some unwritten 'no-photo' rule.  I'd wait until no one was around me and take a quick picture and walk away super fast.  You'd think I was trying to steal something or take a picture of confidential documents.  I am almost certain that absolutely no one cared if I took a picture or not.  

1 comment: