Quick funny story associated with the Nines, last weekend my mom and I went shopping at Assembly Square Mall (the same day as the great Kohl's discovery) and decided to go to the Nines for dinner. We called up Ralphie and asked if he wanted to meet us there. Obvi he was beyond excited and started his trek to Charlestown, dreaming of mozzarella sticks. My mom and I pulled out of the mall parking lot, heading in the direction of Charlestown, when suddenly the 99 was right there, not even two minutes down the road. I couldn't get over how close Somerville and Charlestown were, and truthfully was a little baffled at how I could grow up here and not realize. This lead to an insightful conversation between me and my mom about how everything is connected and when you really break things down the world is such a small place, etc etc etc.
My mom and I get a booth, order some drinks and wait for Ratty to arrive. We're sitting there, chatting, looking at the menu when I start to look around. The bar looks different, I could have sworn the kitchen was along the other wall. We came in a different door than last time I was there, but there must be two entrances. Suddenly it dawns on me, we aren't at the right 99, we are at the Somerville one. I didn't even KNOW Somerville had a 99. Then like an idiot, I realize the brick wall directly infront of my face has SOMERVILLE in huge white letters written on it, way to pay attention Amy. I grab my moms' car keys and drive the 30 seconds to the Charlestown location. I mean, come on, the 99 isn't like a Dunkin Donuts, a church or a bar, there isn't one on every corner in Boston. How is it that there can be TWO 99's within 1 mile of eachother?! I find this so confusing. Anyway, I call Ratty pretty frantically, nervous that he had been sitting at the bar, drowning his sorrows in a tall, frosty Sam Summer thinking that we forgot all about him. Turns out, he wasn't even there yet. He was just getting off the train and walking towards the parking lot. I said I'd pick him up right infront of the Nines, when suddenly, while on the highway, I see him getting ready to cross the street. I yell through the phone for him to stop and literally pull my car over, not fully stopping ever, swing open the door and scream for him to get inside. I felt like a bank robber, minus the cash and ski masks. I pulled a U-ey, probably cut someone off, and headed back to Somerville. Phew.
Long story short, we went to the Charlestown 99 on Sunday night. We spent a casual 2 hours at the bar, drinking Sam Summers and snacking on popcorn before even ordering dinner. Something relatively new about the Nines is their '99 reasons to love the 99'. When I say relatively new, I mean that it's something that's happened in the last 10 years, I just never paid much attention to it. They have signs all over the dining room with different reasons to love the Nines, as if I need anymore reasons then the fact it's just straight up awesome. I took it upon myself to look like a creep, again, and take some pictures of my favorite ones.
This one was in the ladies room. It's so true:
I really want this one to be true. Everyone one at the Charlestown Nines is a 'regular'. I wanna make it happen for me:
This last one is DEFINITELY true:








Oh I DEFINITELY tastes better in a frosty mug! At this point though, I'll take it any way I can.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite reason is on the way to the bathroom and is #17: Hand sanitizer.
ReplyDelete