101 in 1001 Challenge

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

20. Start My Decorating Folder.

This task is technically complete, it was one of the first tasks that I crossed off my list all the way back in May when I started this project [catch up here].  The whole purpose behind the decorating folder was to finally create a catch all for the ideas, projects and articles I come across in the many magazines I read.  I use to keep the entire magazine for one article, but that was pointless because then the magazine, and subsequently the one thing I wanted to keep, got buried under lots of other stuff, got misplaced, or got thrown out.  I'd been talking about a decorating folder forever, even bluffing to people that I already had one, hey at least I had the idea for one, right?  That must count for something.  I finally buckled down and created one, and have been adding to it ever since.

After my first post, I got some really great feedback from a fellow blogger Justagirl who suggested that I make little notes on Post It's to remind myself what I liked about the picture/article/project.  Even if the note was something simple like, 'love the pillow fabric' or 'great floor tiles', it would be extremely helpful when pulling out pages and pages of pictures someday in the future.  I thought this was a fantastic suggestion and went through my entire folder and made notes for everything.  She was right, even though I made the folder less than a year ago, there were a few things that confused me.  I sat there thinking 'Why did I rip this out?  What did I like about this idea?  And even a few 'I don't think I like anything in this picture.'  It was a great reason to go through all my finds again, and remind myself what I loved about them.  Thanks Justagirl for the great suggestion!



5 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Have you ever used pinterest? I requested an invite so I haven't actually used it yet but it looks like an electronic version of a decorating/inspiration folder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need one of these folders...my house is pretty much UNdecorated so some day, when I have the $$, I can decorate my heart out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've never heard of Pinterest but I just requested an invite too! It looks pretty cool - thanks so much for the tip!

    Get your folder started Shelby! I can help you decorate someday - I'm a pretty good painter/drink fetcher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! I had to laugh at your responses looking back over your clippings, because those were the same things I thought looking back over mine before I started tagging them. (love the fabric you have behind all the pictures!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny! After I mentioned pinterest I got my approval, I spent last night going through and working on my boards. I'm midly obsessed!

    ReplyDelete