Ratty got invited to a Boston Magazine 'Brunch Bites' event on Sunday morning at the now defunct restaurant Rocca, in the South End. It just up and closed in December, which was a shock to everyone. Tiffani from Top Chef Season 1 was the Executive Chef, and even she was surprised to hear it was closing – shame.
Since the event was called 'Brunch Bites' and not 'Expansive Brunch Buffet', Ratty and I made plans to try brunch at a new restaurant, someplace in the South End, after the event. Not only is brunch my favor meal, but I also get 101 credit for trying new places, so it is a win no matter what way you look at it!
The event was sponsored by Absolut, so while the food was minimal, the drinks were flowing. Again, just how a good brunch should be. The most fab drink of the day was a burnt orange madras that had touches of cinnamon. It was so yummy that I asked the bartender for the recipe. I only caught bits and pieces, since he was talking really fast, but I am sure that I'd be able to recreate it, or at least have a lot of fun trying!
While Ratty and I were quite responsible during the party, having a few drinks but not going crazy, some other event guests were not so fortunate. One girl next to us struck up a conversation with me regarding my scarf. It's an infinity one from The Gap and she just wanted to know everything about it. How I made it, what stitch it was, where I bought my yarn - um hi, I just swiped my credit card and poof! It was mine. No crafting here. She insisted on taking a few photos of it so she would be able to go home and whip one up for herself. I was all smiles because I love getting compliments and I loved that scarf, so I was relishing in the attention. I can even feel Ratty rolling his eyes as he reads this. The girl was a little tipsy and asked for a photo with me, which was definitely random and probably unnecessary, but I humored her and took potentially the worst photo of my life. It's now in the hands of complete strangers. Please, be kind. Quick note: after brunch, Ratty and I walked past Rocca again on our way to SoWa Open Market, and the girl was laying on the sidewalk outside of the restaurant. Her friends and the owner were standing around her, arguing about how to get her home. She definitely enjoyed the Absolut a little more than everyone else. How mortifying.
Brunch at Gaslight was so good and so affordable. I had a goat cheese and herb omlette and it was only $7, which is down right cheap in Boston. Ratty and I had some mimosas, great food and a latte to top it all off. Review coming up to add to Number 24!
The event was sponsored by Absolut, so while the food was minimal, the drinks were flowing. Again, just how a good brunch should be. The most fab drink of the day was a burnt orange madras that had touches of cinnamon. It was so yummy that I asked the bartender for the recipe. I only caught bits and pieces, since he was talking really fast, but I am sure that I'd be able to recreate it, or at least have a lot of fun trying!
{The insane bar display. Don't worry - we didn't come close to finishing it.}
{Burnt Orange & Cinnamon Cranberry Madras. Yumm!}
{Ratty was slightly unsure about the madras. As hard as it is for me to admit, I believe that this was his first madras ever. That is just shocking. Thankfully it was the best one ever created, so he was easily swayed. Either that or no other one will measure up. It's a blessing and a curse, I guess.}
While Ratty and I were quite responsible during the party, having a few drinks but not going crazy, some other event guests were not so fortunate. One girl next to us struck up a conversation with me regarding my scarf. It's an infinity one from The Gap and she just wanted to know everything about it. How I made it, what stitch it was, where I bought my yarn - um hi, I just swiped my credit card and poof! It was mine. No crafting here. She insisted on taking a few photos of it so she would be able to go home and whip one up for herself. I was all smiles because I love getting compliments and I loved that scarf, so I was relishing in the attention. I can even feel Ratty rolling his eyes as he reads this. The girl was a little tipsy and asked for a photo with me, which was definitely random and probably unnecessary, but I humored her and took potentially the worst photo of my life. It's now in the hands of complete strangers. Please, be kind. Quick note: after brunch, Ratty and I walked past Rocca again on our way to SoWa Open Market, and the girl was laying on the sidewalk outside of the restaurant. Her friends and the owner were standing around her, arguing about how to get her home. She definitely enjoyed the Absolut a little more than everyone else. How mortifying.
Brunch at Gaslight was so good and so affordable. I had a goat cheese and herb omlette and it was only $7, which is down right cheap in Boston. Ratty and I had some mimosas, great food and a latte to top it all off. Review coming up to add to Number 24!
I’ve already described SoWa in such detail that I am sure you already have fabulous mental images floating around in your heads - no need to mess with perfection. Ratty and I decided to walk through again, since we were right next door and since we love the South End so much. There was no pumpkin this time, I can only love one pumpkin at a time, well two really. Ratty is my lil pumpkin head - get it? Because he is a red head? Ha, I am so witty.
We just walked around, while I stored ideas in my mind for things I wanted to make, buy, craft or cook, which is the best part about SoWa. Even if you don't buy anything, you can't help but walk out with a creative energy pumping through you. While I was envisioning my Nantucket beach cottage with vintage champagne flutes in my built-in beadboard hutch, Ratty played video games. Okay not just any video games, old school Nintendo and NHL '95. We were both in heaven. Separate heavens. I’ll leave you with a few pictures of Ratty getting sucked back into middle school.
We just walked around, while I stored ideas in my mind for things I wanted to make, buy, craft or cook, which is the best part about SoWa. Even if you don't buy anything, you can't help but walk out with a creative energy pumping through you. While I was envisioning my Nantucket beach cottage with vintage champagne flutes in my built-in beadboard hutch, Ratty played video games. Okay not just any video games, old school Nintendo and NHL '95. We were both in heaven. Separate heavens. I’ll leave you with a few pictures of Ratty getting sucked back into middle school.








I love Gaslight! Even for dinner & drinks it's reasonable and always tasty. I think it helps that I live next door, so it's a nice go to spot.
ReplyDeleteIf you are looking for another good brunch in South End, check out Masa. I think they might still have some sort of deal on Saturdays. Oh and Butcher Shop is great too. I haven't had brunch there, but their lunch is SO good.
hahahahaha....I LOVE that she was on the ground outside of the restaurant in the middle of the day!
ReplyDeleteI love Gaslight too, Abby! I didn't know you lived right next door, next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll let you know!
ReplyDeleteThe South End has pretty much become my Brunch Mecca, I'll definitely add Masa and Butcher Shop to my long list of places to try. I still need to check out Gargoyles too!
Those drinks look yummy, loved the story about the drunk girl with the scarf love.
ReplyDeleteI've just discovered your blog (all the way from Qatar)
Kirsty
Kirsty - thanks so much for commenting and reading! You are by far my most international follower :)
ReplyDelete