101 in 1001 Challenge

Thursday, February 24, 2011

62. November 6th, 2010 Picture.

Saturday morning I was awoken with the sweet scents of a coffee delivery from Starbucks.  Ratty knows how much I like to sleep in, on Saturdays and only Saturdays, I have extensive feelings about sleeping in on Sunday.  Okay, since you asked, I don't like sleeping in on Sunday mornings because then I struggle to sleep Sunday night.  I am very finicky, so I try not to disrupt the very delicate balance of my beauty sleep.  Ratty is aware of my Saturday Sleeping In Requirement, which means he usually sneaks out before I wake up and comes back with coffee and breakfast for us.  I'm totally spoiled.


Ratty had read about an Open House at the North Bennett Street School on Daily Candy that was taking place that afternoon, so we decided to check it out.  The NBSS is a few doors down from Ratty's apartment on Salem Street in the North End, and I must have walked by the building at least a million times.  It's a very nondescript 5 story brick building that takes up a small, congested block.  Aside from a small brass sign on the outside, there is nothing particularly special about the building, and definitely nothing that gives any indication of what's inside.

Now, up until I was actually inside the North Bennett Street School, I thought it was an elementary school.  When I had read the blurb about the open house, it said that there would be tours, information sessions, as well as a shop where students would sell items they made.  I honestly thought it was going to be something similar to a Christmas Bazaar.  Come and buy artwork, potholders, and various other knick knacks all while supporting students at an inner city school.  I was vaguely aware that they specialized in various trades, but I still equated it to something like the Museum School, which is the MFA High School.  

Once inside, we were greeted by various staff members, volunteers, students and teachers.  Old photos lined the hallway, showing the very first class of the NBSS in 1885.  Most of the students looked like young teenagers, which further validated my thought of it being an elementary school.  Ratty and I made our way into one of the first rooms that was dedicated to Restoration Carpentry.  It looked like a huge workroom, filled with power tools, stacks of wood and various pieces at different stages of completion.  I walked around, admiring the window valences, rocking chairs and dining tables that were on display.  This was definitely not what I expected, but I was very pleasantly surprised.  

We stopped to chat with a few people, whom I thought were instructors - hi, it's an elementary school, remember?  I was curious about the student population, so I asked how old the average child was.  He looked at me bewildered, while Ratty literally took a step away from me and said 'what?!'  What?!  I thought it was an honest question.  Turns out, I was totally wrong.  So off base that I wasn't even playing the game.  The NBSS specializes traditional trades and fine craftsmanship...for adults.  The students range in age from early 20's to mid-60's.  Whoopsie daisy, I could not have been more wrong.  Thankfully, I rebounded quickly, or at least I would like to think I did.  I know for a fact that I turned the brightest shade of red and could not stop sweating.  It was hot in there, for the record, and I was still wearing my jacket.


{One of the piano building rooms.}


The school is actually two buildings that were somehow meshed together.  The front building was 4 flights, with a grand stair case and relatively large classrooms.  The back building was much smaller, 5 or 6 flights, with half staircases between the main floors and teeny tiny rooms that kept multiplying.  You could start in one room, and walk through doors and entryways and suddenly find yourself completely turned around.  I think at one point I called out Marco, hoping that Ratty would answer Polo and I'd be able to find my way out.  Every inch of space was maximized, with grand pianos tucked into small corners, chair legs and banisters strung across the walls, chairs hanging from the ceiling and window sills lined with antique door knobs and skeleton keys.  No matter how long you spent looking around, it seemed that you'd always discover something new, no matter where you looked. 



Ratty and I eventually reached the top of the stairs of the back building, and realized it lead out onto a roof deck.  Now, I'm not totally sure we were even supposed to be out there, something about it screamed holy liability, but no one stopped us so we stayed.  








NBSS has 8 full time programs.  Jewelry Making and Repair, Cabinet and Furniture Making, Restoration Carpentry, Locksmithing, Piano Technology, Bookbinding and Violin Making and Repair.  I think that the violin classroom was one of the more impressive spaces, if forced to pull rank.  There are only a handful of schools in the United States that teach violin making, and NBSS is one that's highly regarded.  Ratty and I spent quite a bit of time talking to a few students, learning about their program, how they must make 7 violins while in school and to pass the program they must submit 2 violins, one polished and ready to play and the other bare wood, so they can detect any flaws.  I was in such awe of the talent and creativity that these students had, it make me wish that I had a calling for some type of trade.  



I was immediately smitten with the bookbinding department and took a flyer about 1 day courses they offered.  The books and journals that the students were able to create were spectacular, and it seemed like such a personal profession.  Each student had their own signature style, which came through in their bindings, closures and design.  In true Amy fashion, I was mentally planning the gifts I'd make and the Esty shop I'd open once I took a few classes.  One might say I was caught up in all the excitement.



{A bookbinding press.}

I was immensely impressed with NBSS and was surprised that such a fantastic school could be sitting right in front of my face without me knowing it.  After walking through their student shop on the first floor, I realized that I'd walked by their display window hundreds of times, but never gave it a second look, or even a FIRST look.  There was so much talent hidden in an old brick building; it made me wonder what else there was out there that I didn't know about.  I'm guessing quite a lot!  It makes me want to go out and soak up as much as I can about anything and everything.  Which is precisely what my 101 list was intended for!

After spending the entire afternoon lost in a completely crazy and creative world, Ratty and I headed to Wagamama for my lunch.  I love Wagamama, it's my favorite.  Funny story.  Wagamama is a British noodle shop (Hi, I love all things British so naturally I'd love this place).  While in London 4 years ago with Ratty, I desperately tried to get him to eat there.  I begged, I pleaded, I started to walk in the door only to be pulled back out.  Ratty's reasoning for not wanting to try Wagamama was that he needed more substantial food than noodles.  Sighh.  I never made it to Wagamama in London, my first taste of it was in Boston, far less impressive than on a Thames riverbank overlooking Big Ben.  Once I tried it I was hooked, and you know what?  Now Ratty loves it too.  Guess noodles can be substantial.



{My chili teriyaki beef with udon noodles, I die for udon noodles.}



{Ratty's chicken ramen with ginger.  Of course he loves the ginger.}



{So, while perusing the shop at NBSS, I saw these fantastic silver studs, made by some terribly talented student and I needed to own them.  So I bought them.}



{Aren't they so shiny and awesome?  I get loads of compliments on them all the time, and I love having a reason to strike up a conversation about the NBSS and what a fabulous school it is.  I love to show my support in any way I can, and if wearing fancy earrings is what does it, then who am I to argue?}

4 comments:

  1. Those earrings are awesome! Have you signed up for the book binding class? That seems so awesome. What a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Amy. Thanks for taking all the pictures...now I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't signed up for the bookbinding class yet, but I have a rainy day fund where I'm putting money away for it! I still have my lofty aspirations for an Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cool place! I looove that your thought it was an elementary school! Love the earrings and I will totes buy a journal/book of yours once you open your etsy shop!!

    ReplyDelete