101 in 1001 Challenge

Thursday, July 21, 2011

62. March 2nd, 2011 Picture.

My roommate Jamie got a new job!  Isn't that so exciting?!  She had been looking for a job for a long while now and I was totally thrilled when she landed one right down the street!  Since college, J had been working with severely developmentally disabled and/or autistic children at a few different residential institutes in Massachusetts.  She also worked part-time as a speech therapist for autistic children, and she was honestly just getting burnt out.  For one job she worked overnights, through the weekend, and at her most recent one, worked at 7am to get all the students up, dressed and on school buses before teaching an entire class.  She really wanted something that was in Boston, no more commuting to the Cape, where she could work 9am-5pm and have nights and weekends off - I mean, isn't that really what we all want, a real work/life balance?!


She'd been looking for an office job for years now, but with the economy the way it was, she was having a hard time getting her foot in the door.  My cousin emailed me a job opening for a receptionist at an architecture firm, and I immediately thought of Jamie.  She is totally into design and decorating, so I forwarded her the email and asked for her resume, if she was interested in it, of course.  She was, and I sent her resume along to my cousin, who then sent it to his contacts at the firm.  Did you follow that?  Lots of emailing and forwarding going on here!  After a round of interviews, Jamie landed the job!  I was so excited for her that we opened a bottle of wine to celebrate!



{Don't worry, virgin chardonnay just means that the wine never comes in contact with oak.  What would the point of non-alcoholic wine be?!  Come on.}

No comments:

Post a Comment