101 in 1001 Challenge

Saturday, September 3, 2011

62. April 6th 2011 Picture.

I was out for drinks with my co-workers, to celebrate Melissa's last day, when I went into my bag to grab my camera.  I wanted to take a picture of the group, but even after I dumped out the entire contents of my bag on the table, I still couldn't find my camera.


I immediately started panicking, thinking of all the unsafe places my camera might be.  I'd been at the fundraiser the night before, followed by drinks at 2 different bars, it could be on the floor of any of those establishments or dropped some place in between.  It could be on my desk, in my car, or laying on the ground in the parking garage.  It could be on the floor of my bedroom, but I was planning on staying at my mom's house that night, meaning if I didn't find it at work or in my car, I'd have to drive back to Southie to try and find it.  I started thinking of all the photos I had on it, ones that would be completely lost since I hadn't uploaded them to my computer yet.  I started thinking about having to replace it, paying $300 for a camera I already had.  I started to feel bad because my mom had given it to me for my birthday and I absolutely HATE losing things.  Honestly, I could make myself sick over losing almost anything if I really think about it.  


I had to excuse myself from the Happy Hour, pay my tab, and rush back to my car, a walk that seemed to last forever.  During my entire walk back to my office, I kept repeating 'Infant Jesus' hoping that my camera would magically be safe and sound in the backseat of my car.  I'd put my bag behind my chair the night before during my drive home, so I was desperately hoping that my camera had popped out.  I had visions of me at the fundraiser, reaching down to put my camera in my bag, only to have it slide right out instead.  Laying on the floor of the venue while people cleaned up and new guests arrived, never to be seen again.  I think the term panic isn't really strong enough for what I was feeling.


I ran through the parking garage, literally ran, as fast as I could, threw open my door and jumped in the back seat.  I quickly scanned the floor and BOOM, there was my camera!  A huge flood of relief washed over me as I realized that it was there all along.  It wasn't in the grubby hands of someone who wouldn't return it, it wasn't on the gross floor of a barroom, or laying in pieces on the street after being run over by a car [yes, all these scenarios legitimately went through my mind.  Many, many times].  I took a picture of my dear sweet camera because I love it so much, and it's back where it belongs, with me.  I snapped this photo with my phone because it's pretty much impossible to take a picture of a camera...with that camera.



1 comment:

  1. if you had taken the word camera out and made someone guess what you were panicking about NO ONE would ever guess a camera haha! So glad you didn't' lose it though!

    ReplyDelete