101 in 1001 Challenge

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

62. April 9th, 2011 Picture.

This ridiculous plate of meat almost killed me.  Seriously.  I almost died, just like in the movie Se7en when the glutton is forced to eat spaghetti-o's until he dies.  I think about that movie every single time I get disgustingly full.  This was one of those times.


Ratty had gotten a Groupon for Redbones, which is probably the most famous BBQ place in the Greater Boston area.  It is right in Davis Square, a mere stones throw from where I grew up, but I had never been.  Ratty was appalled, Groupon was purchased, we stuffed ourselves silly, and the rest is history. 


We had tried to go to Redbones a few times before this, but for one reason or another [one specific reason being a migraine attacking moi on a Friday night] but we hadn't been able to make it.  We finally got ourselves on the Red Line and into Davis Square, ready to stuff our faces with yummy BBQ.

As expected there was a long wait, which meant that we sat ourselves at the upstairs bar and had a few beers while we waited for our table.  Redbones has one of the largest beer selections I've seen, so I opted to order some of my faves, Duval and Chimay.  I absolutely love them, but they aren't viewed as the lightest of beers, which may or may not have attributed to me having to carried out of the bar in a wheelbarrow.  Okay, that didn't really happen, but I definitely could have used the lift.  And a quick catnap.

We got seated downstairs around 9:30pm and the place was still out of control.  Every table was taken, there was a line out the door and there was not one spot available at the bar.  We got an awesome little table in the corner, away from the chaos of the bar area and settled in to order some famous BBQ.  I went for the ribs AND pulled chicken, with rice, beans and corn bread, which was probably a mistake.  Dear Lord I am full just thinking about it!  In hindsight I probably didn't need the ribs, I'd only had ribs one other time in my life and I think I liked them, but they were just completely unnecessary.  The pulled BBQ chicken was unbelievably good, so I ended up eating most of that and skipping the ribs.  Mental note, next time you go to Redbones, skip the ribs, keep the chicken.

By the time Ratty and I left, it was 11:30pm, and all I wanted was my bed.  We'd planned to go to the Burren after, have another beer and listen to some awesome Irish music, but I was so full I was pretty sure my stomach had expanded into my chest and was cutting off my air supply.  We called it a night and headed back to the North End, where I was so incredibly thankful for when we made it up the 5 flights of stairs and collapsed on the couch.  Redbones is awesome, but my eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach.  Next time I do naht need the meat combo plate - one type of meat is PLENTY!  

1 comment:

  1. haha I hate how I always want everything on the menu and then feel like throwing it all up once I eat it!

    ReplyDelete