101 in 1001 Challenge

Sunday, April 24, 2011

62. December 15th, 2010 Picture.

I snapped a photo of money, mainly because I struggle with it.  I never feel like I have any!  Granted, I go out for fancy drinks, eat at nice restaurants, and take weekend jaunts with Ratty, but still, where does all my money go exactly?  Le sigh.  Such a tough life I lead.






I think I was feeling the pinch around Christmas, because of all the associated costs, buying gifts for everyone you love [knowing that these gifts need to be spectacular, which mine always are, obviously] plus attending numerous holiday parties and functions.  $20 here, $50 there, before you know it you're transferring money from your savings to your checking to cover your car payment, whipping out plastic to cover a chunk of presents, while also playing a little game called 'one for you, two for me'.  Or something like that.


I also really struggle to understand money, and how some people have so much of it.  There are LOTS of people who own million dollar homes in Boston, then have summer places on the Cape, Nantucket, Florida, etc and I think to myself, how?   You know, like how can they afford that?  How much do they make?  And how can I get some of that for myself?  I struggle to understand how much people make in relation to their jobs, I can't fathom how large some people's paychecks must be, but I CAN imagine what I could buy with said paychecks.  How much money do you need to make to have the mansion, summer house, ski house and all the extras?  What exactly do you do that pays you that much and, more importantly, are they hiring?  Am I the only one that doesn't get it?

4 comments:

  1. I wonder that all the time. Like how do normal people own homes in San Francisco? And where do the people on House Hunters get all that money for their $400-500,000 budgets? I'm single, but I have good salary, and I never feel like I have enough money. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree and you're totally on point with House Hunters! The International ones always get me - I'm like, what do you DO exactly that allows you to have a 750k budget for a second home in Fiji?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha SO agree about house hunters! I live vicariously through their budgets/second homes!

    Money is a fact of life...and man do I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I hear you. Sadly, the answer is probably that an astounding number of people make an astounding amount of money. Living in Boston you get a warped view of reality though. In the 'burbs in Ohio most people could not afford all this and wouldn't be making the crazy paychecks people here do. So it's all relative.

    ReplyDelete