101 in 1001 Challenge

Monday, January 31, 2011

62. October 21st, 2010 Picture.

Thursday night I made it to my first power yoga class in what seems like forever.  I’ve really been slacking on working out ever since I cancelled my pilates membership, and I really need to make an effort to get back to the gym a few times a week.  I went to the 5:30 class, the one I could never make while at my last job because it didn’t typically get home until 6pm or after.  Just another awesome perk of the new job, I’m done at 4:30pm and it’s 15 minutes from my apartment.  WIN! 

I was really excited about the yoga class for 2 reasons.  I have the most tense back on the face of the planet, I can feel my muscles radiating pain throughout my back and arms, and it makes it almost unbearable to sit at a computer all day.  Massages help a lot, but I unfortunately can’t get one everyday, which is honestly how often I need them.  Pilates really helped, building strength while stretching it out, but ever since I cancelled my membership my back has gotten progressively worse.  I am noticing a trend here.  More negative things have been happening since I quit Pilates.  Hmm, maybe I should something about that.


I was hoping yoga would help alleviate some pain, and make me feel good.  It did both!  The second reason I was uber excited for the yoga class, was to use my brand new Lotus Pad yoga mat.  My cousin Katy (married to my cousin Phil) owns this small eco-friendly yoga mat business that is completely dedicated to offering chemical free products.  I guess most yoga mats are full things that aren’t good for you, like formaldehyde and other nasty stuff.  It makes them cheap to produce, but obviously not ideal for rolling around on.  It’s counter productive to do yoga, but use an unhealthy mat, so I purchased a brand new one at the beginning of October.  It’s a beautiful orange color on one side, while the other is a bright raspberry.  It is completely reversible, and is super thick and grippy, so I don’t hurt my wrists doing planks and my feet stay put doing downward facing dog.  I bought an adorable orange bubble/circle strap, so I can carry it easily, but don’t have to put it in a germy gym bag.  It’s a pretty awesome company, here’s her site.


Now that I'm being green, supporting a family business AND being oh so fashionable while doing it, I have no excuse to not work out now, do I? Damn.



1 comment: