Because Fridays are pretty laid back at work, my coworkers and I decided to host a pot luck breakfast that morning as a little treat. I sent an email around and asked for people to sign up for different things, joking that I would probably being buying something as I am not as gifted as the Barefoot Contessa.
After selling myself a little short in the invite, I decided to try and make Ina’s granola bars. She has made a few different versions on her show, always for a very fashionable breakfast party, so I decided I’d tackle it. That required me running to the store right after work and making them at my mom’s house, as I don’t have brown sugar, or the pans required to make said granola bars. Someday I’ll be well stocked, when I don’t share cabinets, counter space and a fridge with roommates.
The recipe called for a few things that I don’t like, like coconut, so I decided to leave those things out. I toasted the oatmeal and almonds for 1o minutes, while I mixed butter, brown sugar, honey and vanilla extract (another thing I don't have at my apartment!) in a small saucepan. Once the oatmeal was browned, I poured it into a bowl and added the binder. Then I threw in a couple of handfuls of dried cranberries, mixed it together, and poured it into a square baking dish. I popped it back into the oven for about 20 minutes and POOF, they were done! I let them cool overnight, before cutting them into squares and placing them in little cup cake holders.
They were a HUGE success and I was one of the only people to actually make something! The granola bars were actually really yummy, though I made a mental note to cook them a smidge less next time, so they are more chewy than crunchy. I think it could have used a little more honey/brown sugar/vanilla extrac too, to make it a touch sweeter. I guess I might be living up to Ina Garten after all! At least at work but the bar has been set pretty low!
The recipe called for a few things that I don’t like, like coconut, so I decided to leave those things out. I toasted the oatmeal and almonds for 1o minutes, while I mixed butter, brown sugar, honey and vanilla extract (another thing I don't have at my apartment!) in a small saucepan. Once the oatmeal was browned, I poured it into a bowl and added the binder. Then I threw in a couple of handfuls of dried cranberries, mixed it together, and poured it into a square baking dish. I popped it back into the oven for about 20 minutes and POOF, they were done! I let them cool overnight, before cutting them into squares and placing them in little cup cake holders.
They were a HUGE success and I was one of the only people to actually make something! The granola bars were actually really yummy, though I made a mental note to cook them a smidge less next time, so they are more chewy than crunchy. I think it could have used a little more honey/brown sugar/vanilla extrac too, to make it a touch sweeter. I guess I might be living up to Ina Garten after all! At least at work but the bar has been set pretty low!








That sounds hard to make and they look delicious!
ReplyDelete