101 in 1001 Challenge

Monday, August 1, 2011

62. March 7th, 2011 Picture.

Somehow, and I have no idea why, during my fascination with my Kindle, I completely forgot the library existed.  I poured over Amazon.com sales and tried to get really great deals on ebooks, only to realize that most books I wanted to read were priced at $10 or more.  I thought to myself ‘looks like I won’t be reading that anytime soon’, when it suddenly dawned on me, what did I do before my Kindle? 

Oh that’s right, I would create a long list of books I wanted to read, both brand new and classics, and would request them from the library.  THE LIBRARY!  Where they let you borrow REAL books.  For free!  I was a fixture at my local library, going at least once a week to pick up books, return books and scope out new reads.  Even if it was a new release, I would add it to my request list, albeit I’d be like, number 432, but it would be a nice little surprise when it would come in a few months later.

I finally got my head back in the game, and went online to request a laundry list of books I’d been wanting to read.  I stopped in on Monday after work to pick up one (which funnily enough, I’d already read but completely forgotten about), and ended up browsing the small ‘for sale’ cart in the front of the library.  Right by the front door, the South Boston branch always has a little pushcart filled with books that people had donated.  They sell hardcover ones for $2 and paperbacks for $1, which is pretty much the best deal ever.  The selection is limited, but the turnover is high, so each time I stop it I check out the titles.  This time around I found an AWESOME Martha Stewart cookbook, dedicated completely to hors d’oeuvres, and books by both Alice Hoffman and Jodi Picoult.  All for $4.  Pretty awesome take if you ask me!



This fits in perfectly with #58, 3 more books to add to my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment