So I've gotten in the habit of sharing some of the more interesting books I've read, and this is one of them. It's called 'The Bucolic Plague' by Josh Kilmer-Purcell and it's about a gay couple who work and live in NYC. Josh is in Marketing, a pretty important VP at an agency, and Brent is a doctor who works for Martha Stewart. Both are extremely high profile, as you can imagine, and lead uber stressful lives.
On a weekend trip to northern New York state, they drive through this rundown yet adorable little town of Sharon Springs and see the most spectacular home for sale. They decided to act on a whim and put in a low ball offer, which was accepted. The book chronicles the first year of them owning the Beekman Estate and just how tough it really was. They struggled to pay bills, commuted back and forth from NYC to Sharon Springs, oh yes they had to KEEP their jobs and their apartment in the city, so you can only imagine how more stressful their lives became. I want to share more about their story, because the book is great, but I want you to read it, so I won't say any more.
As someone who loves the idea of farming, notice I say the idea, though I'm absolutely obsessed with having chickens and I really want a huge garden someday, I really loved this book. The self dubbed 'Beekman Boys' have actually being doing REALLY well for themselves since the book came out, they have a show on Planet Green called 'The Fabulous Beekman Boys' and have a line of goat milk soaps called Beekman 1802. You know, since they have lots goats on their property.
So yea, if you're into any of the things I mentioned above, you'll like this book. Please take note, I cried a little bit, so you might too.









I so added this book to my 'To Read' pile!
ReplyDeleteOh reading...how I miss thee! Sounds interesting!
ReplyDelete