This was the second year that Ratty and I attended a forum at Harvard Business School that was run by The Harris Center for Education and Advocacy in Eating Disorders at Massachusetts General Hospital. For the past 14 years, the Harris Center has hosted a slew of big names in the fashion industry to come to HBS to discuss the correlation between fashion/models/ridiculously high expectations on body views and eating disorders. Last year Michael Kors, Anna Wintour and Natalia Vodianova (a model) came and spoke about personal experiences, how they have responded to the social epidemic and what they are doing to combat it. It's always proves interesting to hear how these famous fashion moguls balance making money and pleasing investors with promoting positive messages. I imagine it's difficult since not every person in the industry is responsible but obviously now share the blame.
Last year, I was slightly disappointed that both Michael Kors and Anna Wintour read from a script, it seemed less genuine. I was hoping that they would speak a little more candidly, rolling through the conversation like we were old friends and they were pouring their hearts out, but it seemed a touch manufactured. I have to say I am not totally surprised, I lost all respect for Michael when he voted for Gretchen on last seasons Project Runway, obviously EVERYONE knows the true winner was Mondo! TEAM MONDO! But I digress. Not really, but this blog post needs to move on. I could dwell forever, but I won't. I now boycott Project Runway - that's all.
Anyway, this year the keynote speaker was none other than Diane Von Furstenberg herself! Let me just tell you, she is just as fabulous as you could imagine. Like, 'Dear Lord she is utterly fabulous!' kind of fabulous. She was so warm and engaging, I could have listened to her talk all night. She told the story of how she stumbled into fashion, how she created the iconic wrap dress, about her pitfalls and struggles as a mother and designer, as well as how she has tried to live her live as honestly and encouragingly as she can. I thought she was very real, speaking as things popped into her head, not verbatim from a script [that might be considered a very small knock towards Mr. Gretchen Lover over there].
There wasn't a huge discussion on positive body image, but I can imagine that it's extremely difficult to dive deep into the issues in 45 short minutes. It is nice to know that there are lots of designers and people in the business that are committed to putting out positive vibes and attempting to change society's miserably high standards.
Last year, I was slightly disappointed that both Michael Kors and Anna Wintour read from a script, it seemed less genuine. I was hoping that they would speak a little more candidly, rolling through the conversation like we were old friends and they were pouring their hearts out, but it seemed a touch manufactured. I have to say I am not totally surprised, I lost all respect for Michael when he voted for Gretchen on last seasons Project Runway, obviously EVERYONE knows the true winner was Mondo! TEAM MONDO! But I digress. Not really, but this blog post needs to move on. I could dwell forever, but I won't. I now boycott Project Runway - that's all.
Anyway, this year the keynote speaker was none other than Diane Von Furstenberg herself! Let me just tell you, she is just as fabulous as you could imagine. Like, 'Dear Lord she is utterly fabulous!' kind of fabulous. She was so warm and engaging, I could have listened to her talk all night. She told the story of how she stumbled into fashion, how she created the iconic wrap dress, about her pitfalls and struggles as a mother and designer, as well as how she has tried to live her live as honestly and encouragingly as she can. I thought she was very real, speaking as things popped into her head, not verbatim from a script [that might be considered a very small knock towards Mr. Gretchen Lover over there].
There wasn't a huge discussion on positive body image, but I can imagine that it's extremely difficult to dive deep into the issues in 45 short minutes. It is nice to know that there are lots of designers and people in the business that are committed to putting out positive vibes and attempting to change society's miserably high standards.
On stage with Miss DVF is Dr. Herzog, the Director of the Harris Center.
Seriously though, she is in her 70's and she looks FLAWLESS! I mean come on, how is that fair?!
The program was about an hour and 15 minutes total, including introductions and Q&A. Even after DVF was done speaking, she stood up front while people came up to say hi, shook her hand and asked follow up questions. She was incredibly personable and gracious; I really loved hearing her speak.
Once the forum was over, Ratty and I headed to Wagamama in Harvard Square for our Second Annual 'Wagamama after the Harris Center HBS Forum' Tradition [can it be a tradition if it's only happened twice?]. Yes, I am here by dubbing it a tradition!









No comments:
Post a Comment