101 in 1001 Challenge

Friday, August 13, 2010

62. July 22nd, 2010 Picture.

As I was sitting in awful city traffic, cursing under my breath at the miserable drivers around me, I saw this mural out of the corner of my eye.  I pulled out my phone quickly and snapped this picture.  I recognized the artwork, but needed to research it a little bit more before I knew the artists name.  After some Googling and Twitter searching, I found out it was by a graffiti artist named Banksy; Click his name to be taken to the wiki page.  It's not the greatest quality, I know, but I was really struck by its message.  Banksy is a popular, somewhat underground muralist and political activist whose true identity is not known.  His murals have become so popular that auction houses actually sell the murals 'as is' and the highest bidder is left with the issue of removing it from the building.  His works have been sold all over the world and pieces have been bought by celebrities like Kate Moss and Christina Aguilera for thousands of dollars.  It's kinda crazy.  With the way the economy is lately and how many people are out of work, I can understand how this message rings true for a lot of people in the country.  It's eerie and depressing when you think about it, but the fact of the matter, whether good or bad, it makes you think.



3 comments:

  1. Great picture of the day Amy!

    I would bet that you were blogging the second you snapped this piece of graffiti! That's my girl, always thinking and planning.

    Great blog ~ powerful mural.

    Thanks to you, I learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so educational Amy! I've learned so much! This artist, Banksy, is way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting!! How cool to have caught it. See traffic can be a good thing sometimes!

    PS I am trying to catch up from vaca on your photos so comments will be a little less consistent!!

    ReplyDelete