Up until July 25th I had never seen The Godfather, parts 1, 2 or 3. Now, some people may find this offensive {cough Bill and Ratty cough} but like, why would I have seen them? At no point does anyone break into song and/or dance, Hugh Grant doesn't get the girl in the end and there is that whole pesky issue of intense violence and stress. Hm, yea I don't know why I hadn't ever seen them either.
Apparently I am not alone, because my friend Bill and his wife Tara decided to host a Godfather viewing party for all my friends since it was unacceptable we hadn't seen them. It started at 10am and went all day and well into the night. We watched every.single.Godfather.movie back to back to back. Let me tell you something, 9 straight hours of intense mafia violence and strategic 'hits' is emotionally draining. I could barely handle the stress, I can't even watch award show acceptance speeches because they make me uncomfortable, can you imagine me and my stress during the first movie when I kept seeing oranges?! Gah, it was borderline heart attack inducing. I asked A LOT of questions during the movies, in rapid fire fashion. 'Is he gonna die right now? Oh my God he is going to get shot. Does he die? Bill, does he die? Tara, just tell me. Do I need to leave the room? I might leave. Oh I'm leaving. Is it over yet?!' So yea, doing that for 9 hours almost killed me.
Thankfully there were a few stress free glimmers throughout the day, mostly revolving around food. Tara is quite the hostess and made the most amazing spread for us. For breakfast there were Belgian waffles, bacon and asparagus quiche (made by Mark), pastries and coffee. For lunch there were chicken cutlets (made by Jamie via Mark), pasta, homemade 'gravy' and meatballs, pizzagain, homemade rice balls and so much more. I was so well fed during that party, it was fantastic and slightly ridiculous. We ate so much food that we struggled to stay awake during the 3rd Godfather, which is okay because it was the worst by far. What's the deal with the whole incestuous relationship with the cousins?! And Sofia Coppola was the absolute worst. We disliked her so much that Mark actually CLAPPED when she died at the end. Ya, she was that bad. At one point Bill laid down on the floor, saying that he had food in his lungs and it hurt to breathe, then bolted straight up and asked for some bread and butter, to settle his stomach. We were out of control. I'm totally okay with it.
To make our Italian day even more authentic, we sipped on homemade wine from our friend Lina's father. K, he is Portuguese but I'm willing to overlook that fact if you are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAmy, you are soooo funny! Loved your blog - knew you were going to a "Godfather Marathon" and also knew you had a great time but after reading your blog it was even better than I thought!! Between the movies, great food, wonderful friends and theatrics that followed ~ I realized it was a day to remember~ and . . . . .I'm glad you survived it all!
Thanks so much for sharing!