July 31st was a Saturday and it was the night of my cousin Tim's wedding reception. He and his new wife Becky had gotten married in a small ceremony the weekend before, but then rented out a bar and threw a big party for their families. It is understandable since I have about 35 cousins, most of whom are married, so when we are all together, we are all real excitable and take up lots of space.
They had rented out the downstairs of Johnnies on the Side, or West Side Johnnies, whatever it's going by these days, and they had a DJ and food. The party went from 8-11pm, and then the downstairs would open to other people at the bar, but our partying could continue, which it obviously did. Since Ratty lives about 30 seconds away from Johnnies I went over to his apartment to get ready. We had been at Bianca's baby shower earlier that day so I definitely needed to regroup and freshen up. Sidebar: Bianca is Ratty's friend Kevin's wife, so while I ohhh'd and ahhh's over cute little baby clothes Ratty and his friends were drinking at a bar down the street. Apparently that's their version of a baby shower. Wings and beer.
Back to the wedding recap! Ratty and I had a few glasses of wine on his roof before making our way over to Johnnie's to party it up with my family. I was pretty excited since a lot of my family who live out of state would be in town for the reception. Most come home for a nice summer vacation sometime in July or August, so it was pretty perfect timing. We got there right at 8pm but the room was already filling up. My mom was there, complete with a glass of red wine in her hand. Ratty and I grabbed a few drinks and made the rounds to say hi to everyone. Timmy and Becky were so excited that we were all there and couldn't wait to dance. The DJ was setting up and the drinks were flowing, so it was really only a matter of time before we took over the dance floor.
It seemed like we all blinked and suddenly it was 11pm, and a few people we didn't know started creeping into the room. I had taken a total of ZERO pictures at that point, which was obviously unacceptable. Once the music got loud and people filtered downstairs the Aunts and Uncles decided to call it a night. I was bummed that my mom was leaving, but totally understood that she had to drive, and it was getting late. I said some goodbyes, then me and my cousins headed upstairs where there was a cover band playing country music. The bar was absolutely packed, but we grabbed an area of leather couches and chairs that became our home base for the night. My sister Kate, who always works weekends but took this particular one off, demanded that we do a shot together. Our mom had given us a speech before the party that she didn't want to see us doing any shots because then we would get out of control. Who us?! My sister is infamous for bringing a bottle of Patron to our Christmas Party a few years ago and getting everyone hammered, so yea, I guess there was reason for concern. But, you do know what happens when you tell someone not to do something, right? It just makes them want to do it ever MORE! I probably could have gone all night without even THINKING about a shot, but because mom told me not to do one, I needed one immediately. Kate and I grabbed one, hopped into an oversized leather chair and toasted to mom. She'd be proud!
The music was great and we eventually made our way to the dance floor. My cousin Alison, who has 3 little adorable kids and doesn't make it out with us often, was dancing with me and was begging the band to play Journey. Isn't it CRAZY that we are related?! My family has told us over and over again that Alison and I are exactly alike. We talk the same, laugh the same, joke the same and obviously have the same great taste in music. My mom loves that Alison and I are so much alike, because Alison is the only daughter of my mom's only sister. She gets choked up thinking that the daughters of sisters could be so similar, she loves it.
{Here's me and Alison. I am sure that as soon as this picture was snapped she went back to the band and demanded even MORE Journey. Love that.}
{Eddie didn't stay too long, but obviously Kate still had time to give him a little brother sister love.}
{To mom!}
{I started sliding off the chair mid-toast.}
{The Downey Clan!}
{Carolyn and Neil.}
{Me and Ratty.}
{Dave. The crazy one, living up to his name.}
{Harry and Ratty getting nice and close.}
{Me and Kate.}
There were lots of other cousins running around the bar. While a good group of us made it upstairs for the band, most of my guy cousins stayed downstairs with the DJ to hang out. We'd check in on each other every now and then, but like most parties end up, we were all over the place! It was an absolutely fabulous time and we all had a blast. We genuinely love spending time together, it doesn't happen nearly enough! Next wedding, my cousin Kara's on October 9th. We are all staying on the Cape for Columbus Day weekend, so that should be straight up INSANE! I cannot wait for that one! Hope Dave plans on flying home again...








FYI, I absolutely LOVE Journey! If you ever seeget to see Journey: Live in Manila on Palladium it will blow your mind it's soooo. good!
ReplyDeleteRatty has told me about this concert on Palladium. I don't have that channel, but I'll make sure to have Ratty DVR it next time it's on. I saw the in concert a few years ago, obviously without Steve Perry, but they were SO great. I love them.
ReplyDeleteI love that you took a shot in honor of your mom haha! I also love family weddings!
ReplyDelete