So, this actually happened on Friday night, but it was Royal Wedding Day and I didn't want to overshadow that by complaining about my closet shelving once again. Turns out, my shelving was a mere second away from crumbling to the ground, I really pushed it to it's limits. The second I put something on the shelf it fell in a massive, overwhelming heap, pulling sections of the wall out with it. I mean, honestly who builds a HOLLOW closet wall anyway?! That just seems like utterly poor planning to me.
There was no way I was going to be able to reinstall the shelves this time around, I'd completely butchered my wall and there wasn't one non-crumbly spot to try and screw in a nail. What's even worse is that the wall is literally made out of chicken wire and plaster [a la a 5th grade diaorama] which meant that little pieces of white plaster and dust would coat my floor an clothes anytime I tried to drill, move, breathe, sleep...you get the idea.
And yes, I used duct tape to plug all the holes. Duct tape fixes everything, much like Windex.
I had no plans on Friday night [April 29th, as I was resting up for J's birthday party the following night], so I took that as my cue to tackle my closet and declutter. I went to the basement and grabbed my extra large suitcase and started filling it with clothes that I didn't need between now and the time I was moving. I like that when I declutter I mean I just bring everything to my mom's house - it gives her anxiety but me peace of mind!
Since one whole side of my closet was now out of commission, I had to fit all my hanging clothes onto the one stable shelf that was already filled with clothes. I ended up throwing away lot of things that I'd just tucked out of the way but obviously never intended to use. I also discovered that I tend to hoard plastic hangers and shopping bags, so I made it a point to clean house and keep only the things that were actually in good shape, which let's be honest, wasn't a whole lot. My room seriously looked like a landmine had gone off and clothes had rained from the sky. I called my mom around 10pm in a slight panic telling her that I was knee deep in stuff and couldn't see my bed. I told her all about the closet sitch and how I was packing up garbage bags of clothes and things to either store or throw away. She immediately was like 'are you bringing all that stuff HOME?' My panic was washed away after talking to her, but it's very apparent hers was just beginning. That is how most of our conversations go, I feel better at the end while she is wracked with anxiety.
SO! After a night of decluttering, purging and un-hoardering, my closet looked like this!
In the long run, I'm glad the shelves fell, it forced me to clean out my closet and prepare for my move. I would have had to do it at some point and knowing me, I would have waited until the last.possible.second. Being forced into it wasn't ideal, at the time, but in the long run, it was the best thing that could have happened. Now at least one part of my room is perfectly organized!










No comments:
Post a Comment