101 in 1001 Challenge

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

62. April 30th, 2011 Picture.

My roommate Jamie's birthday is May 2nd, and this year she was turning the BIG 30 - a definite reason to celebrate!  Her two best friends Mark [otherwise known as MahkG] and Rachel pulled together an amazing surprise party for her at a bar downtown.  Here is Mr. Party Planner himself - so handsome!


Now, Jamie knew something was going on, she was told to make herself available, but she had no idea where the party was, who was going to be there, or really how large the party would actually be.  There had to be upwards of 40 people there, such an awesome turn out!

We all arrived around 6:30pm and anxiously awaited Jamie's arrival.  Girl had issues with a hair appointment earlier in the day, which pushed her arrival time a little later than planned, much to the stress of everyone involved in the party.   Thankfully there were plenty of drinks, snacks and good friends to keep us all entertained until the birthday girl arrived, looking all sorts of fierce!



Jamie looked fab and was SO surprised!  She thought the party would be a small affair at someone's house, or at a bar someplace, but I think she was honestly taken aback and just how above and beyond Mark and Rach went to pull the whole thing together!


And of course, it was only a matter of time before the faux fur coat and 30th birthday tiara got passed around.  


Some might recognize TJ from the LOGO show A List: New York.  He is somewhat of a NYC Gay Socialite.  Kid knows how to rock a crown.

But I think Kev hands down won with the best look.


Once Jamie made her rounds saying hi to everyone, Mark and Rach played a slide show they had made for her.  They included a ton of pictures of friends and family, and played the whole thing to 'Isn't She Lovely' which is the song that was playing when Jamie was born.  I mean seriously, if they don't win BFFLs of the year, I don't know who would.  The video slideshow obviously made everyone cry.  If you didn't cry, you have no soul.  And probably hate puppies.


And now let us introduce a series of photos that I would like to title: The Best Haircut Amy Has Ever Had.





And scene.  I mean, am I right folks?  Best hair cut ever.  It was so good, that I am actually nervous that my hairdresser Andrea will NEVER be able to do it this well again.  Man, she really set the bar high this time around.

After a few hours the downstairs opened up to the public, which included potentially one of the worst DJs ever.  I guess I would classify it as 'House' music, but it was totally undanceable.  To even further how bad this DJ was, he had a shirt on that said 'I don't do requests' - how awesome is that?

People started to peter out around midnight, but we were just getting started.  We all needed to dance, so the remaining soldiers hopped in cabs and booked it to our favorite Dorchester bar The Banshee for last call.  

Erin and I shared a cab and we were SO IRRATIONALLY EXCITED that we were in cab number 7!  This was my first time in any of the Top 10 cabs and I made it a point to have this entire conversation with the cabbie:

Me: OMG you must be SO EXCITED that you are the cab driver of cab number 7.  It must be such an honor!

Him [being ridiculously nice to me]: I like driving my cab - yes!

Me: Is there like, a ranking system?  Did you start with cab number 256 but you have worked your way up to number 7 as people have retired because you're just SO GOOD AT DRIVING CABS?!  When the driver of 6 quits does that mean you get it?

Him: No, it doesn't work that way, you are just assigned to cabs, I happen to be number 7.

Me: So, driving number 1 isn't your greatest goal in life?!

Him: No.

Me: That really sucks.


So irrationally excited!  NUMBER 7!  It's totally fitting that Erin and I would be in number 7, our suite in college was called THE SEVEN because 7 of us lived in it.  Sigh, I miss us!

I obviously need to pose with him once we arrived in Dorchester.  I mean, when I tell you that this guy answered all my questions and thought that we were potentially genuinely hilarious, I really mean it.  He was SO nice and really didn't flinch at all my crazy questions.  How come I am so obsessed with cabs, huh?  It makes zero sense.


My new best friend.  The driver of Cab Number 7.


Once we got inside The Banshee we tried to explain why we were so excited, but no one was having it, so we danced our faces off instead.  And did some birthday shots.





When the lights came on and the bouncers were yelling at us to 'GET OUT', I somehow got handed a bunch of colorful balloons.  I'm not sure whose they were, or why I got them, but they were definitely coming home with me.  I made sure to ask our next cab driver [sadly not number 7] 'do you mind that we have flair'?  He didn't mind and let me bring the entire bunch back to our apartment.  Photos were taken.


  HAPPY BIRTHDAY J!  Well, now we're actually closer to your half birthday, so happy 30.5!

2 comments:

  1. Jaime is pretty fabulous and i haven only known her for like a year (well in person that is).
    UM fate is what I call getting into cab #7 and I love the convo with the cabbie hahahaha!
    LOVE flare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?! THE SEVEN. Totally fate.

    ReplyDelete