101 in 1001 Challenge

Saturday, May 15, 2010

62. May 12th, 2010 Picture.

I live next door to an abandoned factory.  When I first moved to Southie it was up and running as the 'American Nut and Chocolate Factory' but it never looked like a place I'd want to buy something from.  Within the past year or so it closed down, like a lot of other businesses and warehouses around Boston, and has sat gross and unused.  I live on a cute street, and have an amazing apartment.  No honestly, I have a huge bedroom, my own attached bathroom, spiral staircase, porch, back yard, basement, washer/dryer and a spare bedroom.  There is no way that I should be able to afford living here, but I can and I do.  I like my neighborhood.  I am really close to downtown, and am within walking distance to a lot of stores.  Previously in Southie, I would need to drive most places because I lived in more residential areas, so this is a nice change.  Unfortunately, I park next to this eyesore and have long hoped that something would eventually replace it, like a 99 or something awesome like that.

Last week I was walking to my car in the morning and I saw a little pop up tent in the parking lot, along with a few chairs under it and a man taking pictures.  I assumed it was some sort of ground breaking ceremony and I got excited that finally something would be moving in. It's a great location, right on the main street next to a bus stop between the liquor store and Burger King.  Hi, prime real estate in South Boston.  I was beyond excited when Ratty sent me an article from the Boston Globe that said that a brand new gourmet grocery store would be built where the horrible factory now stands.   I am now going to be able to walk 10 steps and pick up milk or other groceries and never have to drive anywhere!  For a nice town, there is 1 not so nice Stop and Shop in Southie, so I will be SO happy I won't need to go there, or truck over to Dorchester to buy my food.  Not that I buy food that often, I try to make my food last as long as possible, you know, since I'm poor.

Anyway, this is the current horrible building, it looks like a scene from a horror movie or something.  Yes, those colorful houses behind it are projects, ahem low income housing.  I don't mind living near the projects, truthfully there are 3 complexes in South Boston, so no matter where you live you are close to a project, they even have the best beach front real estate with crazy views of Boston Harbor.  At least living a block over from a busy street with projects lining it, I know there is always someone around.  Even if I am walking from my car late at night, there are lots of people walking up and down the streets, so I actually feel pretty safe.  I know my neighbors and feel a good sense of community on my street.  Plus there are lots of people with dogs.  I don't know what it is about dogs, but they make me feel safe.  Having my apartment between a fire and police station also helps.

I swear Southie is a great place to live.  It is one of the more coveted neighborhoods in Boston and tons of young professionals live here.  After re-reading my post, I realized it doesn't shine South Boston in a the greatests of lights, but I love it here and don't plan on going anyplace anytime soon.  New grocery store or no new grocery store.  But I'll take it with the new grocery store.  Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. How awesome to have a grocery store right next door, do you know which one?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called Foodies, there is one in the South End. I've never been but I hear nothing but awesome things about it. I am SO excited.

    ReplyDelete