One of my dear friends Shelby is having her second little girl in a matter of days and to 'celebrate Izzie's life' as Shelby's mom Ellen said, they had a little brunch for some of Shelby's closest friends. There were a lot of Shelby's in that sentence, but I wanted to make sure it was grammatically correct, and didn't really feel like using the former or the latter at all.
It was held at Shelby's mom's house on Sunday afternoon, and Ellen, a girl after my own heart, had plenty of food and mimosas on hand to celebrate. As soon as I walked in the door, I was greeted by Shelby's little girl Emma, who immediately wanted to open the present I had brought for Izzie, short for Isabelle Catherine. Being an aunt to many adorable little girls, I know that you cannot show up to a party with a present for one and not bring something small for the other. I had picked up a little Hello Kitty tote at Target and put a giant bag of animal crackers and a case of sidewalk chalk inside for Miss Emma. As soon as she started grabbing at the tissue paper in Izzie's gift I was able to defuse the sitch and give her the HK bag. We promptly went right outside and started drawing all over the steps and walkway, even enticing neighborhood kids out of their driveways. At one point, Shelby's Aunt Paula walked outside and called me the Pied Piper of children because they were somehow multiplying.
After successfully covering every inch of brick and concrete with chalk, we moved inside to eat lunch. Shelby and Ellen put on a wonderful spread with lots of yummy food, PLUS a cupcake tower. Hi, totally my thing. Lana forgot her camera 'accidentally', and took charge of the picture taking with mine, so she snapped some adorable shots of Emma licking all the frosting off her cupcake. Typical. After eating we refused to get up and sat around gabbing and telling ridiculous stories about each other from college, we can't let go, ever. It was pretty hot on Sunday, so we moved the party outside on the deck for some fresh air. Miss Emma needed a nap and was pretty much asking to get put to bed, too much partying for one little girl, and we passed her around the group to say goodnight. She is just the cutest thing and I can only imagine what Miss Izzie is going to be like. Emma was QUITE spoiled since she was the first, and we joked that Emma's life as she knew it would be ending in a matter of days. She has no idea what's in store for her, but I think she'll be alright.
Everyone started filtering out and heading home, but I could not let go of the Wellington/Buhkenik household. I don't get to see Shelby that often, she's a married mother of soon-to-be 2, but we have a great time together when we do. After Shelby's wedding last year, I borrowed some sweatpants because Erin and I had an impromptu sleepover at Ellen's house and I needed something other than my dress to wear to bed. I headed back to Ellen's house a week or so later to return the clothes I borrowed and ended up staying for almost 4 hours, drinking tea and chatting with Ellen, Shelby wasn't even there! I am completely fine with always overstaying my welcome.
I loved my one on one time with the family and was there to play with Emma when she woke up from her nap. We headed outside to the yard again where we played with Duke, their dog, and kicked around Emma's new princess soccer ball. I finally pulled myself away from the family a casual 6 hours after I got there and headed home to Boston. Here are some pictures from the day!
This is my little gift for Izzie. I realized that everything Emma has is monogrammed, and poor Izzie needs SOMETHING with her name on it. I headed to Target on Saturday afternoon and bought some adorable little onesies, one covered in daisies, one that says Hand Picked, and one that says Watch Me Grow, plus a Little Firecracker 4th of July outfit, white ruffled skirt, bathing suit, socks, mittens, and of course, hair bows. I may have gone overboard but everything was just so wittle and so so cute! How can you not buy a teeny tiny striped bathing suit? I also bought glitter puffy pant and a purple basket and channeled my inner sorority girl and wrote Izzie's name in my girliest glittered handwriting.
{And here is Miss Emma's little gift! LOVE the dollar aisle at Target.}
{All the girls.}
{Emma testing out the cupcake. She still looks unsure about it.}
{Go Gamma Phi!}
{Modeling the bump AND the gift!}
{Emma wanted all the bows for herself.}
{Look at how teenie weenie that bathing suit is!}
{The gorg scrapbooked frames that Lana made for both Izzie and Emma. She is also a professional photog and picked the sweetest pictures!}
{The button is a photo of Shelby when she was 8 and Lana refused to take it off for the entire party. Shelby didn't really love it, wonder why?}
{Duke just jumped onto my lap, completely unprompted. I think he was jealous of all the attention we were giving his sister Emma.}
{We had to honestly coach Erin through this process. She has never held a baby before. It's like Emma knows somehow.}
{Erin just put Emma on her lap and let go. We kept yelling 'you need to HOLD her!'}
{Emma just really liked my necklace. She couldn't have cared less about the rest of me.}
{Lana and Emma.}
{The whole group. With the skinny arm.}
{We are ridiculous and needed to get on the rock and pose this one out. Look at how casual this is. Especially Lana. Just hanging out, on the rock. We do this all the time.}
{A little more natural.}
{Again, Erin needed to be coaxed to touch the belly.}
{Just me, Emma and Duke, playing in the backyard.}
I cannot wait to meet Miss Isabelle Catherine, and I know that Emma will be a fabulous big sister! Oh and Shelby and Yuri are great parents too, can't forget that part!








You can NEVER overstay your welcome at the Wellington household!! Had a great time that day and I'm so glad you came and stayed after as well! LOVE the pictures!!
ReplyDeleteOBVI I'm so behind.. and just read this post.
ReplyDeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
fyi: Emma told me that she wanted to just hang out and sit on my lap. We have an understanding like that ;)