So, about this past Thursday. I didn't really do too much. It was a nice, relaxing night where I could catch up on my sanity. I'd been going 100 mph for the past 2 weeks and I needed a night to regroup. I headed to a pilates class and then went to dinner at my mom's house. It was about 9pm and I was thinking about my daily photo. I hadn't met anyone famous that day, I didn't have any cocktails or eat at a fancy restaurant, but needed something to post and to chat about. I scanned my room, to see what I had around that would make for a good photo. Then I saw it, my most favoritest scarf in the entire world. It is draped across my overstuffed white reading chair, purely for show. It's one of the items in my room that if my apartment were to catch fire, knock on wood, I would grab it oh so fast. I wear it on special occasions, and soak up the compliments I get. I've never even seen one like it, and I love telling people I bought it in Paris, it makes it seem so much more special.
I'm not really sure the picture does it justice, but it's gonna have to do! I bought this scarf while spending the day in Paris my senior year in college with my friends Maura and Shelby. Yes the very same Shelby I mentioned earlier. Maura was interning at Parliment during the fall semester our senior year, and Shelby and I decided to go visit her over Thanksgiving Break, you know just a quick getaway. We had such a great experience there that I am forever spoiled. Maura worked for a Member of Parliment, pretty much the equivalent of a U.S. Senator, and when she heard we were coming to visit Maura, she flat out refused to let us stay at a hostile. Her and her husband had a fantastic flat, on a side street right behind the London Aquarium next to the London Eye, and they let us stay there for our entire trip. For free. I don't think we understood just how insane this was. Any time we made a friend there, and started chatting about our trip, they would always ask us where we were staying. We'd casually throw out that we were staying at an MP's flat, one street over from Parliment and the Thames, and jaws would drop. I guess this is like, saying, oh you know, Teddy is putting us up in Hyannis, are you familiar with it? (RIP Ted).
Anyway, one day during our trip, the Wednesday to be exact, we decided to take the Eurostar to Paris and spend the day. We left at 4am and took the 3 hour chunnel ride to Paris. We took the last train home, except for Maura who couldn't get on our train and needed to take the first one home the next day. Thankfully she has friends in Paris, and we knew this going in, so she made arrangements to spend the night. Honestly, the Eurostar has been nothing of a headache for me, because exactly 3 years later, Ratty and I would take the same train to Paris and subsequently MISS our train and have to spend the night at a Comfort Inn. Tears were shed. But I digress.
While wandering the streets of Paris, which isn't as fun as one might think with Maura as our strict tour guide - I think I started crying when I saw a park bench and begged to sit down. I'm pretty sure both Shelby and I now walk with a distinguishable limp because of this 8 hour walking tour. Long story short, we pass this little store, with white wood work and big glass windows, with nothing but silk scarves covering every inch of the walls and banisters. Shelby and I had quickly learned that scarves were now 'in' and that we were the only ones on the entire European Continent without one, so needless to say, we need to buy as many as we could to bring home to America. We walk in and realize that the place is still under construction. Scarves are set up, but shelves are still being built and I'm pretty sure they were refinishing floors and painting some walls. The owner comes running over, because apparently, we were her first customers. We are scanning the walls which are covered by the most beautiful scarves I've ever seen. We ask if she is open, and we are in luck! Her credit card machine is set up, thank God! We start poking around, looking for the perfect purchase. I am immediately drawn to this green scarf because, let's just put it out there, green is my favorite color. I try it on and I need to have it, I don't care how much it costs. I think it was something like 35 euros, which everyone knows isn't real money, so I had no problem handing over my debit card. It was the best purchase of that trip, maybe ever. Maura said she went back a year or so later, but the store had closed. RIP.








Amy I loved EVERYTHING about this post, aside from me being in it haha, this trip was pretty awesome! I still love telling people we stayed at an MP's flat, I mean who does that. I also remember Maura putting us through some sort of boot camp, I mean I know I was on the heftier side, but wow she didn't have to blindside us throw us into bootcamp hell haha! JK she was the best/most thorough tour guide ever. I do however DISTINCTLY remember you begging her to stop at a bench to sit down.
ReplyDeleteI also remember this shop, and how I bought myself some scarves, but I don't think at this particular shop!