On Tuesday night, I headed to a lecture at the Boston Public Library by Nathaniel Philbrick. He is the resident historian on Nantucket and wrote 'In The Heart of The Sea: Tragedy of The Whale Ship Essex'. This book is truly amazing, and I gush and recommend it to anyone and everyone. His lecture was on his new book, 'The Last Stand' which is about the Battle of Little Big Horn. Nathaniel Philbrick spent 4 years researching this book, and spend every summer traveling through the west, stopping at every camp and battle site Custard was at. I have no idea how he doesn't get SO overwhelmed by all the information he discovers. Imagine deciding that you want to write about a certain event in history, where do you even begin?! There is so much information out there, and so much unknown, it just blows my mind. I guess since this is what he does for a living, he just takes it day by day and enjoys what he does.
After the lecture, we lined up to meet him and have him sign our books. I was nervous in line, and running through potential things to say to him. Any comment needed to be quick, since there was a long line, but I also wanted him to know just how much I love his books. When it was my turn, I walked right up, handed him my beat up copy of 'In The Heart of The Sea' and professed my love for his writing. I said that this book was one of my absolute favorites and I loved reading it. The women selling books from Barnes and Noble were laughing and nodding their heads, saying I was right and it is fabulous. He smiled and thanked me so much for reading his books, and all I could do was babble about how much I love his writing and how big of a fan I am. Ratty was a few people behind me in line and when he got up front, he told Philbrick that I was the one that turned him on to his books. Ratty even told the story about when he and I were at the beach last summer and Ratty was reading the extremely descriptive chapter on the effects and symptoms of severe dehydration. Ratty was gasping for air and asking me for water. I was like 'WHYYYYYY would you read that book at the beach? It is about being stranded in a life boat, under the sweltering sun with no food or water for NINETY TWO DAYS! Whyyy is the BEACH the best place to read it?!' Well Ratty shared this story with Philbrick and I think he liked it. He probably thinks that I'm totally psychotic.
Anyways, here is my beautiful signed copy! Totally worth any and all humiliation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








I am going to need to pause baby and wife duties for a week and come live with Amy Deveau, because you literally do the funnest/most interesting things EVER!
ReplyDeleteI have a spare bedroom Shelbs! You are welcome whenever!
ReplyDeleteAfter seeing your tweet about the reading, I looked up his tour schedule and went to the NYC date on Thursday. It was great. It seemed as if he was speaking to me, maybe because I was a younger face amongst an older crowd and sitting right in front of him. My dad implored me to tell him I am a Starbuck and while it is not my style, I obliged. NP perked up and said "Really?" and shook my hand. What a guy. I'll need to catch that whaling doc that just released.
ReplyDeleteI read ITHOTS on a beach myself in MV. Not a terrible place to read it in my opinion.
Great blog top to bottom. Keep it going!
Thanks for reading Andy! Isn't NP just the nicest guy? I was so impressed at how smart and down to earth he was. He was genuinely interested in everyone that came and chatted with each person as he signed their books. I was just really blown away by him.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine how excited he was that your last name is Starbuck. Do you have any ancestors that lived on Nantucket?
Are you talking about the PBS doc? I just DVR'd it yesterday and can't wait to watch it! It's pretty much all about the Essex and NP was interviewed for it, should be pretty awesome.
Yeah, the PBS one. I haven't caught a second of it yet but I hear it is great.
ReplyDeleteI did have ancestors up there, a few are mentioned in In the Heart of the Sea in the "Nantucket" chapter. What my father also wanted me to tell NP was that most recently either my great grandfather or great great grandfather was born in town. I couldn't remember exactly which and I didn't want to try to slide something that was potentially inaccurate by a historian like NP.